Budget_Blaster's Budget_Banshee Build

Budget_Blaster

Dec 25, 2009
Illinois
Well ive been working on the banshee slowly i got hurt at work and been on light duty but its coming along very nicely ive got a bunch of stuff ordered and am waiting on parts to show up.

I had the frame media blasted and found it had been wrecked and cracked so i took into the shop and welded it all up and added some material to strengthen the area.

After the repairs were done i had it powdercoated.I with a pearl white basecoat and then 4 coats of jolli pop metallic red it looks awesome.These pics were taken with my droid so they do no justice for how it looks in person.

Here you guys go my official budget banshee build.

Heres how she started when i brought her home.

Banshee5.jpg

Banshee7.jpg

Banshee8.jpg

Bansheeteardown.jpg

Bansheeteardown2.jpg

Bansheeteardown3.jpg

And heres the frame stripped and ready for media blasting

PART_1328583416104.jpg

PART_1328583416734.jpg

PART_1328583416734.jpg

PART_1328583417451.jpg

Now for the engine...

Im not going to crazy at this poiunt but what i have planned is new std bore sleeves done by ken oconnor he resleeved my resleeved jugs (THEY WERE DONE WRONG BEFORE I GOT IT HE FIXED THEM) pinned so they dont move,media blasted,and whatever tricks ken had up his sleeve.All i know is they look almost too good to bolt on and run!!!

Heres some before and after ken got his hands on the jugs.By the way he did all this for the cost of shipping!!!I know its been said before and i personally sound like a broken record but if you have questions or need machine work or parts GO TO KEN OCONNOR it will be the smartest thing you do!Not only do you get exactly what you need but he educates you in the process.

Now for some pics

Banshee.jpg

Bansheeteardown5.jpg

Bansheeteardown7.jpg

Bansheeteardown6.jpg

Bansheeteardown8.jpg

BansheeTeardown10.jpg

BansheeTeardown11.jpg

BansheeTeardown12.jpg

Well it certainly looks like you've got a sweet project planned! Frame is sick, awesome color choice! And wow, those cylinders look new!!! Great job again Ken!

(that last part rhymed)

Ordered 2500 worth of stuff today and still not done.

Frame and other parts i had done were done by a friend of a friend who runs a big outfit there in town.They do mostly commercial work for caterpillar but he has one shop devoted to the little guys like myself doing home builds.The price was extremely cheap in my opinion at 300 out the door including blasting and doing the frame and parts start to finish.Im not sure i want to know what it would have costed had i not got a deal on it.

Just wondering what you guys thought id be making for power when said and done?

The build will consist of the following basically a good stock bore/stroke rebuild with bolt ons.

Resleeved to stock bore 64mm wiseco forged prolites
Toomey T5 kit
Stock rejetted carbs
4+ timing mod
14/41 chain/sprockets
Stock resurfaced head
VF3's carb spacers
Uni and stock air box
Tusk HD clutch kit

And the rest is stuff that was either worn out and damaged that needs replaced mostly frame ans suspension.

Id like any suggestions you guys have that will allow me to get the most power and reliability from this build.Reliability and repeatable performance is a must since this thing will end up going from country cruising to trail riding and even a little track time nothing serious but theres a track open to the public where we ride as long as theres not a race going on,And when i go to bad lands itll even see some sand so i need a descent balance of power and reliability.

Speaking of reliability were the banshees if maintained correctly a reliable quad?I know theyre infamous for being king of the dunes but how are they in the other areas like i plan to ride in?

Also what other quads do parts swap from to further enhance the banshee like say the 400ex shock does the blaster?This thing will definately be getting new suspension the stock stuff is terrible and severely worn out.

Thanks guy for any help is appreciated.

looks like a solid build thus far!!!!!

that's about right for blasting/PC work. can't wait to see it all back together.

What color are you going with on the plastics?

Plastics are going to be duplicolor base coat clear coat BLACK and then probably one of those kits from ebay with the skulls or something havent made it that far yet.lol

x2 Port work and larger carbs will make it a beast. Dont be suprised if your blaster is faster with your current mods.

I seriously hope youre joking ill be irate if that was true.Especially since my g/f has kind of taken over my blaster.

ill never hear the end of that!

240 bbk will not be faster than a banshee if the blaster is not ported. Port a 240bbk and it will hurt a banshee thats mildly built.

REALLY?!?!?!?!

Thats kinda hard to belive figure no replacement for displacement amongst other things.

I plan to run this setup this year then next winter build a BBK/stroker banshee motor.Which of the BBK banshee setups is the most powerful/reliable?Ive been drooling over the 421cc cheetah cub but id like as much displacement as possible without sacrificing reliability and longevity at the same time.

How would that cheetah kit compare to say sending the jugs back off to ken and having him work his mojo on the stock jugs?Im sure it would be impressive to have run a set of kens ported shee jugs but how would performace/pricing compare to the cheetah cub kit?

Kinda sucks i wish id had extra money to have ken go ahead and pot them while he had them but i didnt.

Still waiting on parts to move foward...anyone else as impatient as i am?LOL i hate waiting for anything.

Yes, you would think the larger banshee motor would beat a ported BBK blaster but i seen the truth many times to me as well as others at the drag strip. Hate to say it but your leaving tons of power on the table by going unported. I dont know about reliability but i chose the 421 cheetah cub combo for the awsome kick in the pants power but i will say a set of stock flotek ported cylinders will run right with me, seen it done.
My 4mill cub is not ported but i chose going unported to keep some bottom end power and still have that awsome top end. 421 cub should put about 80HP on the table and thats more than enough for now, but i might choose to lose that bottom end power and go ported in the future.
There is stroked and ported BBK kits owned by members on here that will kill my 421 in 300 foot drag . Never underestimate a blaster motor.