Broken Sight Glass

ConceptOne

Oct 12, 2014
Ocala, FL
Hi All,
New to the site, hope this is posted in the correct area. I recently picked up an '05 for my 9 yr. old. Being it's a new addition to the family I have been checking and double checking and adjusting everything constantly. I changed the transmission oil last week when we got it and all was well, after a couple hour ride Friday I noticed the transmission sounded a little noisier than it was. I needed to adjust the clutch internally anyways so I figured I would change it again with a little better oil. While removing the plug I noticed the underside of the bike was wet, upon further inspection I found the oil sight glass cracked and pushed in, wtf??? I've never seen this happen and of course this is not a replacement part per Yamaha. I got it out, removed the broken glass from the rubber, inserted a piece of lexan into it, and reinstalled it with red RTV, to no avail. Luckily it didn't smoke the clutch or transmission, there was still a little oil left but my repair is now weeping oil. McMaster and MSC both have threaded oil sights but the hex on the head is too large to clear the protrusion on the case. I guess I can tap the hole and put a plug in it then drill and tap a high level hole elsewhere on the case but I would really like to have the glass, mainly for my son's pre ride inspection. I have looked at case covers on ebay, some appear to have a forward facing "tube" or pipe on the cover. Mine does not and what is it? Any input would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 2014-10-11_14-50-29_864.jpg
    2014-10-11_14-50-29_864.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 445
It wouldn't surprise me at all to know that I have the odd ball. I'm second guessing myself now and I need to take another look at it. I'm going to head over to my shop as soon as the kid finishes mowing the yard. How much for one of them?

I'm in WPB.
Many places to ride down there? Been to Croom? I noticed that you had YFZ 450 heel guards, do you have any pics? Just put a set of Kenda Klaw's on Friday, 20 x 11 x 8, they are rubbing the stock guards a little when I slide it hard, there ok with my kid, will the YFZ's give me the extra clearance?

image.jpg
Many places to ride down there? Been to Croom? I noticed that you had YFZ 450 heel guards, do you have any pics? Just put a set of Kenda Klaw's on Friday, 20 x 11 x 8, they are rubbing the stock guards a little when I slide it hard, there ok with my kid, will the YFZ's give me the extra clearance?
I had them and they were fine, but I also have a banshee axle. However I ditched them and got raptor 250 guards. They look better and fit better.