BrigmanPros22 Rebuild

BrigmanPros22

Jan 6, 2012
Victorville, CA
Well I'm just starting a rebuild on my sons 2004 Yamaha Blaster. I purchased it two weeks before the Christmas and have been having trouble with the it starting. I decided to take off the Cylinder to look at piston and while I started to do this I got some crazy feeling to just start all over and rebuild my sons Blaster...

After pulling off the Cylinder I took out the Piston and noticed it was Wiseco Forged Aluminum ProLight piston. 67mm Bore X 57mm Stroke. It has a Mikuni 26MM Stock Carburetor, with a Toomey B1 Pipe Jetted at 310.

Tors System still on the Quad Need to remove that but not sure since its a 2004 what I need to do..

I have removed everything from the Quad. Engine Removed, Electrical wires taken off. Front a-arms and Rear Axle Removed.

I would like to start out by upgrading the Engine. I'm looking for some help in deciding what path to take regarding this? My son is 13 and is a pretty good rider... Looking at doing Cross Country Riding/Moto Riding.

PM'd Strokedtater244 regarding the swing arm. As well anybody know of anyone selling used extended A-Arms? Would like to upgrade the Axle to be a little longer, I like the look a lot better and it probably steers really good as well...

Shocks Which ones are good? Should it be 400ex Rear with Banshee Front shocks or should I go with Elka's or Works???

Thumb or Twist Throttle which one is better?

I have Read some of the Rebuilds I have noticed that everyone is saying fix the engine and then upgrade the rest.. I agree but not sure how to approach this the right way. Can someone suggest how to do this?

Thanks for all your help....

A lot of your questions can be answered in the DIY section. Check out the diy index, it covers just about everything and how to do it. Compression and leakdown test would have been good before you took the top off just to know what your dealing with. Others here will help with engine upgrades like porting etc.

Personally, I prefer the twist throttle.

I already Did the Compression Test and Leak Test and I have looked in the DIY Forum as well and got great Ideas. It's always nice to hear from other Blaster Owners that will give advice during the process.

Compression was 90 Psi and no leaks.

Ah, that's why you took it apart. I just got one that just barely makes 100psi so it is coming apart too. I think if you get an aftermarket pipe off some kind and a bigger carb you will be going in the right direction. I have seen some carbs w/twist throttles on ebay if you decide to go that route. Ken O'Conner racing does porting and other engine work.

Here are the pictures of the Rebuild.... BrigmanPros Rebuild.jpg

I have twist throttle on mine currently but I seem to get less fatigued and feel safer with a thumb.

OT but 2blaster, where do you ride? Im from Ga as well

Thank you Awk08 I'm very excited about this Build. Especially the advice I see that you give for people like me...

Looking at getting my Engine up hooked up first. Do you have any suggestion on The Piston I have Wiseco 67mmX57mm Stroke this is what came with the bike when I purchased it.

The owner said he purchased about 3 months before he sold it and the prior owner rebuilt the top End. It looks really clean, I will send pics of the picture and Cylinder.
If I ahve this Piston do you think it was bored all ready?

i'm confused, you said it only had 90 psi. compression, that would lean towards it not being touched for some time

you'll need to measure, or have the cylinder measured by a reputable shop to determine it's size.
and the piston to cylinder clearence to determine if it needs bored to the next size, or possibly just honed and new rings

the specs can be found in the downloadable manual, if you have the proper measuring tools ????

open this, click file, then "save as" to save this to your computer for further reference.............

http://www.rydindirty.com/blastermanual.pdf

Welcome to the forum. I would stick to the thumb throttle . You can upgrade to a banshee axle to make it wider in the rear. A 400ex,Z400, TRX450r,trx250,rear shock will work nice. Works or Elka would be the best on the front. You should post pics of the ports in your jug to see if it's been ported. If it has not, that would be a great upgrade to the power. There is loads of stuff you can do to make your Blaster better.

I have twist throttle on mine currently but I seem to get less fatigued and feel safer with a thumb.

OT but 2blaster, where do you ride? Im from Ga as well

Ride mostly on our property, narrow wooded trails and some open areas. About a 1/4 mile up the paved road there is a forest service road that's a couple miles long with off-shoot trails going up the mountain. Even has a fair sized mud hole, I've been around the edges, but looks like it could swallow a Blaster in the middle. This is all 10 miles south of Blairsville, GA. You are welcome to come ride. There is plenty of room to park your truck/trailer.

IMO I'd do the suspension before upgrading the motor. If hes riding CC he'll be burnt out in no time on stock suspension and anyways in rough CC it never usually makes it out of 2nd-4th gear.

a common, mid priced swap is used "works performance" shocks up front
with a 400ex and ken oconnor bushings in the rear
prolly $200-$250

or if your wallet has you leaning to one side......ELKA'S all around !!!!!

So here is my update on the build:

I have been speaking with StrokedTater244 regarding picking up a few things from him. I am sending my Swingarm out be extended 2.5 inches. I'm also picking up a Banshee Rear Axle. I will add Burgard a arms with tie rods and special spindles.

I want opinions on progressive Shocks for the front, are they good or should I upgrade to something else?

I decided to go with a thumb Throttle instead of the Twist throttle.

Looking at a paint color my son likes Blue any suggestions on the color should I stick with the Cherry Red?

When you install the banshee rear axle what mods have to be done to make it work? how much wider is it than the oem blaster one? i was thinking a bout getting a wider axle and a arms along with some better suspension to replace my banshee fronts and 400ex rear. I really want to get fronts with reservoirs on them and a better rear as well. thanks for the info