Boyesen Dual stage resticts?

yamaha28

Apr 8, 2011
I heard that these reeds can be restrictive. The idea was that the stock reeds opened those nice big flaps. The dual stage opened the little flaps and restricted the flow until the bigger ones opened too. Thoughts?

Reactions: Awk08
Restriction comes from size of opening. So at some times the answer would be yes. At lower velocities the smaller, softer pedal opens. As RPMs increase so does V, then the whole reed opens. Power per dollar V3 would be the last piece of the puzzle (IMO). For 98.98% of us duel stage, especially with a ported cage, fits the build and wallet best.

Here is a pic of a ported cage : TB Customz Banshee Rebuild Page

Just have to be careful of the sealing surface. I can't tell from this pic, but at the tip there is a two angled surface that I blended into one, theroy being that any edge causes the air to "tumble". I didn't go quite as close to the screw hole but that surface is tapered towards the port. Also, I didn't waste my time removing the gold anodizing from everything. I:I

Restriction comes from size of opening. So at some times the answer would be yes. At lower velocities the smaller, softer pedal opens. As RPMs increase so does V, then the whole reed opens. Power per dollar V3 would be the last piece of the puzzle (IMO). For 98.98% of us duel stage, especially with a ported cage, fits the build and wallet best.

Here is a pic of a ported cage : TB Customz Banshee Rebuild Page

Just have to be careful of the sealing surface. I can't tell from this pic, but at the tip there is a two angled surface that I blended into one, theroy being that any edge causes the air to "tumble". I didn't go quite as close to the screw hole but that surface is tapered towards the port. Also, I didn't waste my time removing the gold anodizing from everything. I:I

nic port work!!! almost looks like it supposed to be like that...so shee reed cagesare the same as blaster? i can port mine out the same exact way and get better flow right?

Same design, Blaster is slightly larger than Banshee. Make sure you don't get into sealing surface. Don't make center sections to narrow.

Thanks for the info larry! So id does restrict a little bit but not enough or for long enough to cause any real power disadvantages. I wonder if Ken would do reed cage porting?

the idea of the dual stage is to increase air VELOCITY at low rpm, what this means is that at low engine speeds, your motor foesnt flow alot of air very fast, if the air volume is small and runs through a large opening, your air speed is slow..not good for performance, so, the same amount of air running through a smaller opening = faster air speed, which is better for performance. they then have the large flap which is designed to be the correct thickness in order to flex at the correct vacuum pressure, thus, when the suction from the motor reaches a certain point that the small holes cannot support, the bigger ones open,

It is a natural process and so dont see how it could be restricting, they open when the motor dictates they open, so if they not open, it means the motor diesnt need them too open yet!