Bought a Blaster!

wolferacing

Nov 11, 2013
Maryland
Hello all!

Figured I'd post in here to get the ol' first post out of the way. I'm 21 and from the state of Maryland. I recently purchased my first Blaster! At first I was iffy on buying it however I found this site and honestly it changed my mind. Seeing such a good community around the Blaster I figured it had to be special.

I was told a bearing went bad inside the engine, can't remember which bearing the guy even said. Got it home and decided to tear the top end apart. Well... Tried to at least. The piston was stuck in the cylinder. After some good hammer taps the two finally separated. It seems the guy that had the engine apart last somehow managed to lodge part of a piston ring into the cylinder wall. I don't even see how he put it back together after the amount of force it took for me to get it apart. The ring left a nice deep carving in the cylinder and of course the piston is useless now. Also noticed a good amount of play in the rod/crank so I'm going to replace those also. A local shop thinks they can bore the cylinder so hopefully they are right. I have my doubts though due to the scratch depth.

It's a purple/black colored 96 Blaster. I'm planning on redoing the whole body cause honestly I can't stand the purple, or the short hood. Just not my style. The basic vision I have is a darker red frame, black body, newer gen hood, racing fenders, new bumper, nerf bars, ect. The plan is to build the ATV I've always wanted. I might start a build thread after I gather enough parts. I'm sure I'll have some questions as I go so hopefully everyone can help me along my journey.

Sorry for the extended story haha... See ya around!

Welcome to the forum. We are here to help you if you wNt it. Make sure your local shop knows how to bore a 2 stroke cylinder the correct way. The edge of the ports need to be ground at an angle or it will catch the rings. That may have been what happen in the first place.

Welcome to the site and to the blaster brother and sisterhood. If a bearing went bad, I would replace all of them. From crank to trans. That way you have a fresh motor and won't have to worry about them.

welcome, you've deff came to the right place !

since your doing a top end and bottom end rebuild, now is the time to do anything performance oriented, ported jug, head mod, stroker crank etc etc.

is this your first quad ?

stratton.

Welcome fellow Marylander! Where in Maryland are you? I'm in Pasadena. Hit me up if you need anything. Glad to have you on board.

Make sure your local shop knows how to bore a 2 stroke cylinder the correct way. The edge of the ports need to be ground at an angle or it will catch the rings. That may have been what happen in the first place.

Thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to ask about this.

If a bearing went bad, I would replace all of them. From crank to trans. That way you have a fresh motor and won't have to worry about them.

Very true, I'll do some research on all of the bearings to figure out prices and how much work this will take. I want to do the build the right way but at the same time money is a bit tight. I'm sure everyone knows how that is.

Since your doing a top end and bottom end rebuild, now is the time to do anything performance oriented, ported jug, head mod, stroker crank etc etc.

is this your first quad ?

I'm going to look around and decide on what performance mods to include. A little more power is always good however I don't need anything too fast. This isn't my first quad but it is my first 2 stroke. I have a lot to learn about 2 stroke engines and I hope this will be a nice learning experience.

Welcome to bf....help is always here,theres a few guys around here that know there things in and out

Thanks!

Welcome fellow Marylander! Where in Maryland are you? I'm in Pasadena. Hit me up if you need anything. Glad to have you on board.

I'm on the Western side. Closest city to me is Hagerstown but I live up in the mountains in the middle of nowhere haha.

WELCOME !!!
to the
DIRT PILE !!!

I:I​

Haha thanks!

First off welcome to the forum. As you already know there's lots of good pple here. When you have some time go through some sticky threads and read as much as you can. Lots of knowledge and first hand experience in there about mods and the basics. As you probably know already two strokes are bit different than 4s and Imo cheaper to mod. Alot can be achieved on just a few simple things. A few things you should look into first is read about jetting and how and why it's very important in a 2 stroke and leak testing. Read up on those to get yourself a little familiar with a two stroke..

Welcome. Don't get discouraged. A little bit of work and you will be riding in no time. I'm in Southwestern PA, Not too far from you.

It's the work that makes the riding more enjoyable! Southwestern PA isn't too far away at all.

welcome you will find all the advice you need here the blaster was def a good choice

The Blaster is indeed looking like a good choice!

First off welcome to the forum. As you already know there's lots of good pple here. When you have some time go through some sticky threads and read as much as you can. Lots of knowledge and first hand experience in there about mods and the basics. As you probably know already two strokes are bit different than 4s and Imo cheaper to mod. Alot can be achieved on just a few simple things. A few things you should look into first is read about jetting and how and why it's very important in a 2 stroke and leak testing. Read up on those to get yourself a little familiar with a two stroke..

I spent some time already looking at a few threads. I'm glad to see so many useful topics created. Really helps out. I kinda skimmed over jetting and leak testing but within the next week I'll sit down and actually read over the topics in full.