Bought a 02 Blaster-What to do now?

Justinlhc

Oct 27, 2008
I already ordered an oil injection kit, twist throttle, new air filter and plug. What else is a must-do on these bikes? I bought it for my wife to putt around on, but I want it to perform. I'm assuming pipe, silencer, reed valve.....what sort of carb mods does everybody do? Bore it, jet it or replace it with something bigger/better? Also, what do I do with the oil line that ran from the pump to the carb? Cut it and cap it off? I can't seem to pull the damn thing off and I'm not sure what I need to do to get rid of it?

Thanks for any tips or suggestions. I:I

the oil injection block off kit you ordered will have everything and instructions on how to install it. it has plugs for the old lines too.

for the carb i would just jet up. dont bother with a larger carb if your only going to do slight add ons.

I would advise that you get a pipe and silencer before anything more. it is the best mod to a blaster for the price. reguardless of what others will tell you FMF is fine for what you want. you can find them cheap on ebay all day long.

It won't be getting raced much at all unless I get on it and rip it up. The wife is an "easy" rider and not much for taking risks haha. I just want her to have a fun bike to ride and "if" she gets into a situation I want her to have the power she needs to handle it.

One thing I HATE about this bike is the headlight and how old school it looks. I know I've seen some Blasters with a covered headlight that blends into the hood. This one is just out in the open and ugly as sin. I'd really like to change that if possible?

you can change the headlight. i just took mine off. i never ride at night, so there was no point to have one. if you want to convert, you need to find a hood off a 03-up blaster, as well as the headlight its self. there are a few minor things you need to do, but it is easy. there are several memebers on this forum that have done the conversion. i would search ebay for the hood, and headlight.

I'm a big fan of night riding so the headlight has to stay. I will look into the 03+ hoods and lights. I like that look much better.

Is there any other upgrade to eliminate the stock headlight and use 2 seperate lights instead? That single light out in the open like that really bugs me. It just looks out of place, like it was bought at Kmart and bolted on there. I'm not looking for a crazy HID kit or anything crazy, just something that looks better and if it puts out more light, that's a plus.

yes there are other options. the stock stator will put out 55 watts. you can find some fog lights that you like and put in 25 watt bulbs on each side. then you just have to wire it up. there are tons of options, but buying 2 much smaller fog lights will looks good, and wont look so much like crap.

if your wife is an easy rider the blaster may not be the bike for her. i was thinkign the same thing when i bought my blaster. i got myself a 400ex and the blaster for her or the kids. she hates the blaster because it has no bottom end power or midrange. she likes to take it easy, but when it comes time to hit a hill, she doesnt like havign to get eh RPM's up so high just to putt uphill. blaster is more of a point and shoot kinda ATV. if you need power in a bind, you gotta clutch it up or have it in the upper rpm band already.

now when we ride, she is much happier on teh honda and im on the blaster. i think im happier that way as well. the 400 is kinda boring to ride.

true i got my wife a blaster, because she said she wanted the same thing as me, but its hard when she just wants to go and not really hammer on it like the blaster like. you really need to stay up in the power band, if you are not up there and need power good luck. but maybe you can teach her to love to tear it up.

Got the injection kit and twist throttle installed today. Had to lean it out quite a bit for some reason afterwards. The main jet is a 240 and I have the needle all the way at the top. Still runs kinda weird.....looks like I have some work to do.

I adjusted the float a little and I think I took too much fuel away. I hate making more than one adjustment at a time because it's hard to tell what did what. I never learn.....

Got the carb dialed in a bit better, then the chain snapped on me and left me stranded. That was a fun "push" home.

It runs pretty good down low, but the topend is choppy and weak. I'll have to do some sparkplug checking when the new chain/sprocket setup gets here. I think the bike needs and alignment or something, too because it seems kinda iffy when you hit pavement. Maybe I'm just too used to my dirtbike?