Blasty having trouble

cap9709

Aug 20, 2012
Kansas
Hey guys I tried starting my blaster and after about 50 kicks I decided it was time for a different plug. The one that I put in wasn't brand new but I knew that it did work. So after about 20 kicks it starts but smokes quite a bit and after about a minute dies. I keep kicking and still won't start. So I try a brand new plug. I try kicking it and it sounds like it just kinda bogs? Oh and also every 15 kicks I would kick and it would spring back/backfire? No clue what's happening. Thanks!

Hey guys I tried starting my blaster and after about 50 kicks I decided it was time for a different plug. The one that I put in wasn't brand new but I knew that it did work. So after about 20 kicks it starts but smokes quite a bit and after about a minute dies. I keep kicking and still won't start. So I try a brand new plug. I try kicking it and it sounds like it just kinda bogs? Oh and also every 15 kicks I would kick and it would spring back/backfire? No clue what's happening. Thanks!

Do you have good spark? Mine acted very similar right before the stator went bad.

I think so. I put the boot next to the engine a week ago and as I kicked it it sparked most of the times. I was having a lot of electrical issues recently that I thought I fixed the on off switch was messed up but it's fine now.

backfiring/kicking back ....i'd be checking the reeds for broken/cracked/chipped and the flywheel for a woodruff key sheared knocking it out of timing

I'm gonna guess the reeds are fine They have like 3 rides on them. Is it hard to check the flywheel? Where is it

How long since it last ran? Fresh fuel? TORS still hooked up? What color is the spark? Have you done anything to it since it last ran?

Then start checking wires. All connections must be clean and tight, add dielectric grease. Coil must ground to CLEAN, BARE metal. Check that flywheel is tight. Might consider pulling it and checking key.

I went riding last weekend after about a hour of kicking I adjust the wires that connect to my on off switch and it started right up and ran fine the rest of the day. When I got home I thought I'd try one more time to start it just to see if it was still ok and it was. Just tried starting it for the first time since then and this happened.

Fuel is good and toes is still hooked up.people say to remove the toes but I don't get why anyone would?

what year is this ?
if pre 03, just unplug the 3 wire tors box, right beside the cdi box under the hood.

btw...click the bottom link under my pic below for troubleshooting guide/links

Yep a 02. Pics of the wires please? Thanks!

tors delete:
http://www.blasterforum.com/do-yourself-20/how-remove-your-tors-655/

tors = 3 wires
cdi = 5 wires

DSCF0267.jpg

That trouble shoot u made is very helpful. I'll remove it tomorrow but do U think that is the problem? Thanks!

could be tors, reeds, flywheel, weak spark ect,
we just have to eliminate the possibles one by one, hang in there we'll find it
keep us posted.

I think my plans for tonight just got canceled lol. What would u recommend doing first? Ill probably work on it tonight now.

The T.O.R.S system consists of a switch on the carb and throttle, and a "brain" box to "detect" a stuck throttle slide. If it detects stuck throttle it retards the spark to where it will barely run with throttle closed and absolutly will not rev up, and displays systems "simular" to what you have. Only stands to reason that if it does this when properly operating, who knows what happens when the brain Loses it's mind Easy test would be to unplug the brain, and if nothing changes you can plug it back in if you so desire