Blaster Wiring question

Josh263

Sep 27, 2014
I have a blaster from the mid 90's. I just rebuilt the engine. I was able to start and ride it a few times. I went to finalize the wiring and tried to hook up an ignition switch. Now I cannot get the bike to start. I have no electronics or tors on the bike. I found a few wiring diagrams and was trying to follow but I have had no luck. I have the 4 wires black, black/red, white/red and yellow/red coming out of the stator. I have black grounded, black/red and white/red are going to the cdi, I also have the orange from the ignition coil running to the cdi. Can someone please help with the wiring?
Thanks

I see no mention of the blaclk/white stripe wires ?
grounding any of them to a solid black or the frame kills the ignition and will not allow starting.
double check all your blacks & blk/wht stripes to be sure you have none crossed or mixed up.
the kill & key switches are open to allow running and close to ground the blk/wht wire to ground to kill the engine

I see no mention of the blaclk/white stripe wires ?
grounding any of them to a solid black or the frame kills the ignition and will not allow starting.
double check all your blacks & blk/wht stripes to be sure you have none crossed or mixed up.
the kill & key switches are open to allow running and close to ground the blk/wht wire to ground to kill the engine

Thnaks for the reply. Right now I have the blk/red coming from the stator to the cdi. I have the white/red from the stator to the cdi. Also the orange from the ignition coil is running to the cdi. The black wire from the stator is not connected to anything. The black and blk/red wires going into the cdi have nothing connected to them. Does this help at all?

connect all wires from stator to harness, there is no reason to leave any disconnected

Reactions: speedyslyder
get a upclose pic...less confusing.
did you try disconnecting the ignition switch?
there is a black ground that goes on the ign coil mounting bolt/and one on voltage regulator by headlight

http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/ignition-troubleshooting-88-02.46159/

I took some picture hopefully these will help. The problem is I have no electronics or tors. I only have the stator with 4 wires, and orange from the ignition coil and the cdi box. I put the cdi box by the stator so you can see what goes where. Thanks for your help so far guys.

Attachments

• 20141102_181237.jpg
    20141102_181237.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 966
  • 20141102_181359.jpg
    20141102_181359.jpg
    693.5 KB · Views: 1,090
  • 20141102_181421.jpg
    20141102_181421.jpg
    631.3 KB · Views: 577
  • 20141102_181442.jpg
    20141102_181442.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 683
im confused how black wire is not grounded to anything?
if there is a black from ignition coil/black on key and black on kill/how is there not a black coming from stator connected.i never had an electrical problem soo im sure everyone on here know way more then i do,but tors/no lights whatever or not,there has to be a ground somewhere.
is it a stock stator? if it is a generic stator then perhaps that is the real problem,what other issues did it have before?
if it was running before you tried to put ignition key switch,and now this maybe get rid of key,put back the way it
was?
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/stator-wire-haaaaalp.60166/

you gotta ground the black wire coming out of the stator, it originally connects to a black wire in the harness which tees off to multiple gounds, but just grounding it to the frame may work also if the harness black is missing down there ?

ground 2.jpg

ground.jpg

okay thanks I thought that needed to be grounded I will try tomorrow. What about the black and blk/white wires in the cdi ?should I just leave them alone?

okay thanks I thought that needed to be grounded I will try tomorrow. What about the black and blk/white wires in the cdi ?should I just leave them alone?

the black/white stripe wires are used to ground out and kill the cdi, they connect only thru the key and kill switches to the solid black wires.
do not connect them to anything but those 2 switches or a tether switch to kill the engine.
if they are unused, tape off the end so they do not contact anything