Blaster will not cold kick start

Boostwhipped

Jun 11, 2017
I have my buddies blaster and I can try kick starting it till my leg falls off but will not start. I can pull it with my buggy pop the clutch and get it started after that i can kick start it every day just fine but if I leave it sitting for more then a week with out starting will not start again unless I pull it. Reeds are good, carb has been fully cleaned through and check, getting good spark, compression feels good and once it's started runs great!! Any idea why it will not cold kick start?!!

Hard starts like that are usually bad Reed, dirty pilot jet, or low compression.

You said it feels good compression wise....use a comp tester and get some numbers to see where it is.

Reactions: Blaaster
Sounds like the choke circuit of the carb is stopped up, or the exact opposite. The carb is flooding the bottom end with fuel and oil mix. Do you premix your fuel ? If yes what ratio?

Compression is key, but after let's say 4-5 good kicks with the choke pulled out to the max, remove the spark plug and examine it. Is it wet> or dry? Wet > choke circuit is functioning properly. Dry >choke circuit on in carburetor not operating properly. Suspect low float level, or stopped up pilot jet. Check/ adjust to spec(level). Retest

I'll go rent a compression tester and try it but wouldn't all those make it run bad when it's running? Once I get it started it runs and idles great

I agree with you about running good after once started, but a carb that the choke is not functional will be hard to start.

Follow those guidelines that I stated first about the carb and does the Tors system work?

I believe it is still hooked up and working properly, the guy before be did alot of work on this thing but I'm not sure what all he did. I know he messed with some of the wiring behind the front hood and it's got a racing exhaust and the motor has been rebuilt .20 over

So here's what I just did I took the spark plug out cleaned it out it back in tried kick starting it about 15-20 times with the choke pulled all the way out pulled the plug back out and it was still dry

Take that carb back off. It needs a thourough cleaning. Take all the Jets out , make sure they are open and clean, spray out all the passages with compressed air after your done with the carb cleaner.

Just spraying it, or soaking it in carb cleaner is not going to work.

Set the air idle screw 1.5 turns out from lightly seated as a starting point, then try to fire it up.

Look in the carb section on here if your unsure. There are lots of stickies on how to clean, set and adjust all aspects of the carb.

Sorry guys for the late response I don't have much free time with work and kids but anyways I cleaned the carb thoroughly and even checked the choke and it's spotless but I did a compression test and it's showing zero? Did I do something wrong or is that common?

Zero compression is really odd. even no rings will give 20psi.
Do you have the carb throttle wide open while you are kicking?

Before you go any further, try leak testing the engine.
Do a search on this forum for "Leak Test".

Then you are going to need to pull some stuff apart to see why there is no compression.

Ok guys I did a leak down test and I found 2 leaks. I put about 8psi in and It was at zero psi within probably 1-2 min max. One leak is at the reed gasket and the other was on the side of motor at the crank case.