Blaster rpms shoot up when idling

Hutch

Jun 25, 2012
Hello guys,
I started up my blaster the other day after doing the wally world lights and some other things, rode it around for a little bit and was on my way back down to my house I tryed to throw it in nutral but I hit first by accident and stalled it. I rolled it down the hit for a but and stoped so I could fix the lights. When I started it up it reved to the moon, I switched the lights on, they poped, and it kept reving like crazy untill I shut the ignition off. This has been happening periodicaly lately. I cleaned the carb all out, fixed the slide so it was sitting a little lower, cleaned the slide and what not. The throtle cable is destroyed, it was sitting on the exhaust and it melted the casing. Im getting a new throtle cable this week, but I dont think that is the only problem because the throtle isnt sticky. Any one have any idea whats going on?

The melted cable could have been responsible for the uncontrollable revs.

As Civic said it would pay to do a leak down test, you should do one at least every 6 months.

As to the lights popping, the voltage reg may be stuffed.

I took it out and rode it around my drive way yesterday and let it idle for about 10 mins. It seems to be running fine. I have a voltage reg in the mail, along with an air box lid and snokle, 3w led bulbs, and some brake pads. Im going to bring the quad to my uncles and put a new throtle cable on. This just happens out of the clear blue sky every once and a while... Im begining to think it is all the throtle cable.

I had the same problem with mine.. and i thought maybe I had a leak.. turns out after i pushed the cable all the way into the torts and throttle properly it worked fine.. I could also do with a new cable for the same reason but i want to remove the torts before I do that lol

i would stiil leak test the motor..... be safe then srry...... a $30 leak tester from slick and an hour ouf you time is much better then a 200$+ topend rebuild....

True but I don't think slick has any anymore :( .. An hour to leak test? rebuild would be quicker... just cost a tad? more :p

ha. u wont be saying that when u start looking for pistons on the internet...... lol
pm him and ask. if it were my motor that does that, i wouldent take any chances..... i would leak test the sh*t out of it! lol

Hello guys,
I started up my blaster the other day after doing the wally world lights and some other things, rode it around for a little bit and was on my way back down to my house I tryed to throw it in nutral but I hit first by accident and stalled it. I rolled it down the hit for a but and stoped so I could fix the lights. When I started it up it reved to the moon, I switched the lights on, they poped, and it kept reving like crazy untill I shut the ignition off. This has been happening periodicaly lately. I cleaned the carb all out, fixed the slide so it was sitting a little lower, cleaned the slide and what not. The throtle cable is destroyed, it was sitting on the exhaust and it melted the casing. Im getting a new throtle cable this week, but I dont think that is the only problem because the throtle isnt sticky. Any one have any idea whats going on?

Did ya run out of gas? or forget to turn on the gas? Once i did this and it reved to the moon, but then after a few kicks with the switch off , and the gass on, :-[ it was ok!

i would stiil leak test the motor..... be safe then srry...... a $30 leak tester from slick and an hour ouf you time is much better then a 200$+ topend rebuild....

Oh so true! If ya want you can build your own tester, but either way You should leak test it!

Its full of gas and the gas was on. It seems to be fine now, My uncles going to look at it when they come over this weekend. Hes the owner of Kool Kidz ATV, some of you may know them.

Its full of gas and the gas was on. It seems to be fine now, My uncles going to look at it when they come over this weekend. Hes the owner of Kool Kidz ATV, some of you may know them.

I bet the bowl ran out of gas momentarily due to a intermittent bad float valve, which created a lean condition! Rebuild the carb, check the jetting and i bet it will be good.