blaster problems

97yamaha200

Dec 8, 2014
me and father cleaned my blaster 200 carb this week bc it keeps backfiring and bogging down but when u let it sit and run 4 for 10 minutes it runs fine.we checked to see if air was coming in the carb and motor but there wasnt new spark plug new top end only 4 days old PLEASE WHATS GOING ON???

WELL IF THERE IS NO AIR GETTING TO THE CARB THEN THATS UR PROBLEM. CLEAN UR AIR FILTER AND CHECK FOR ANY CLOGS IN THE AIR FILTER BOX/TUBE AND THE EXHAUST ...I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM ON MY FIRST BLASTER AFTER THE GUY REBUILT IT AND THERE WAS A CHIPMUNK LIVING IN THE EXSPANSION CHAMBER WITH ENOUGH ACORNS TO LAST A YEAR

piston installed in the right direction w/ arrow facing forward ?
when you had the carb off did you happen to look in at the reeds ?
a broken reed petal sometimes produces the symptoms you're having

Did you by chance leak test the engine directly after re build?

Did you perform heat cycles and re torque the head and cylinder bolts?

Have you adjusted the idle speed as per specs?

piston is in right and we cleaned carb yesterday after i got out of school and its fine the o ring on the jet was torn so we replaced it and put it all back together. But the spark plug was sparking blue so that could also be the problem because it was so black that you could wipe your finger on it. and also we would heat up the spark plug and put it back in and it would start up then die so took it out and it was wet we bought a new one last night. also we bought a fuel filter to put on it. But i sprayed out the filter with air nothing came out it was cleaned i cleaned the air filters fulled with dirt so it could be plug after all.

man bro we have done everything we have tried we adjusted the idle right air is it suppose too be all the way in or out but we bought a new plug in case.

please answer these???
what year is it?
is there any aftermarket electrical parts on it?
was it like this when you bought it or did it just happen?
tors deleted/oil injection deleted?fresh gas bought like today..ngk b8es plug...without touching the gap?
i would compression test it for sure...especially if you just put a new piston on without touching the cylinder?

carb plus idle 1 1 1 big 1.jpg
year calculater pic plus ex1 1 1.jpg

Last edited:
it was the spark plug put it in yesterday and it ran perfect rode for about an hour and she runs just fine