Blaster or Quadzilla

yamarunner

Feb 26, 2013
I have a 88 Blaster that will need a new top end soon. I have been throwing around the idea of trying to sell it or trade it, since I also have a Warrior. A guy offered me a straight up trade for a quad. It is a 92 ltr 250 frame modified to fit a 87 Quadzilla engine. He says the thing runs and everything it just needs jetted. The reason I am asking is because i've heard about how many engine problems quadzillas can have. I'm just wondering what you guys think? Thanks a ton in advance!!

If its a trade just for the blaster, there are probably problems with it, for both, it may be in good running condition, but idk anything about quadzillas so just ignore me if someone says otherwise I:I

i had a quadzila (bought it from a mate who bought it new. only had it 3 months and he wants to purchase a blaster for off road. i had it not even 2 months and the gearbox went on it. i ended up selling it and i purchased the blaster i have the now.)

Thanks guys! At first I was all for the trade but when I started reading people's opinions about them I started to change my mind. Especially when I started to look at the costs of replacement parts. Thanks again

The zilla is a great bike if you put some time a money into it. Like stated above the zillas were only made for 4 years so there is limited aftermarket support. There are a few people making custom stuff for them though. The 87 zillas were the bigger problem years, the need a little more attention than the 88+ models. The biggest problem with them is detonation. The squish needs to be corrected and the head studs need to be upgraded to the bigger size. Also race gas is pretty much required in them. I can refer you to some people that can help you out with this work if you decide to make the trade.

Dad had a 88 zilla had it for spring nationals and that winter he said f it and did a full rebuild on it the broke a steering stem and wrecked it so heq sold it it was mean from the story's I heard about it I'd do it with the warrior and keep the Blasty

Is that supposed to be comparing the two? should have said that lol

I guess that would be a criptic or infered comparison. Seeing this is a Blaster forum all most everyone would know that Yamaha made a bazillion Blasters, therefore that would leave the QZ to be the limited production. :eek:

Even if its a zilla motor in a lt250 frame the value is far higher then a blaster, hell the zilla motor alone is worth more then the blaster if you know the right people.

As far as performance, yes some things can be changed to make it more reliable but the ride has no comparison that zilla motor is a big bad beast that can pull like you would not believe. I would trade any one of my quads in a second for a zilla.

If your trail riding don't even consider the zilla. There too much.imo..for trails anyways but there a rocket. And just jets seems kind of weird as stated above.. but a clean zilla goes for good $$$ that's if you can find someone to buy it.. i personally wouldn't do both for one.