blaster muffler question

crazyjust

Apr 7, 2011
Tamaqua, Pa
Bear with me here. I wanna say silencer? The back aluminum muffler on my blaster. The cap that is in the back, that you pull out and there is a tube with fiberglass packed it it. I took the cap off and the tube was so rotted and broke off. Will this harm my engine or really affect performance with this empty?

Are you talking about just leaving out the perforated tube and all the fiberglass packing? If so then yes it will effect performance, as well as sound.

without that perforrated tube, if you do use packing as is suggested, the engine can suck it back in during the pipe scavenging phase.
leaving that rusted up piece in there could suck pieces of that back into the engine.
you either need to fashion a new tube, or better yet...
start looking for a new silencer

I would find a piece of tube, conduit,or pipe at least as large I.D. as the rotted piece and start drilling lots of holes. This is if you are tight for money.
This is what I used for packing on my sons Banshee : http://www.pjpmarketplace.com/STAIN...D=746565461&catargetid=1465987488&cagpspn=pla I packed them as tite as iI could around the core, sounds real good. You can get same thing @ Dollar store even cheaper 3/ $1. Will never burn out

Thank you everyone for replies

I would find a piece of tube, conduit,or pipe at least as large I.D. as the rotted piece and start drilling lots of holes. This is if you are tight for money.
This is what I used for packing on my sons Banshee : PJP MARKETPLACE 3M STAINLESS STEEL SCRUBBER 12 pack 84CC PJP# 164442 I packed them as tite as iI could around the core, sounds real good. You can get same thing @ Dollar store even cheaper 3/ $1. Will never burn out

I'm gonna have to take this advice with the conduit. Money is always tight in my household. I just don't want to have to rebuild an engine over something like this. That's my main concern.

Performance should not be greatly affected if you use a piece of straight pipe from the header pipe.

Draggers use no silencer, and if you can handle the noise, go for it.

I would perform a plug chop to see if it has affected the jetting.