blaster motor swap

mud runner

Jan 19, 2012
leabnon TN
were thinking about doing a motor swap with a 250 2 stroke water cooled dirtbike motor and i was wondering what motor would be the easiest to put in it with the least ammount of mods. and money becides a dt200

I have a nice 2002 CR250 engine that I took out to build a 500af for the sand dunes...no swaps are easy, just depends how bad you want to go faster.

The pipe is always the hangup.... Neither a cut down dirtbike or a reworked blaster pipe are perfect.

The BEST possible solution is a custom pipe. It also happens to be the most expensive and hardest to do....

The pipe is always the hangup.... Neither a cut down dirtbike or a reworked blaster pipe are perfect.

The BEST possible solution is a custom pipe. It also happens to be the most expensive and hardest to do....

This could also be said of aftermarket production pipes. Perfect is hard to come by and harder to verify. There's a lot of C/P opinion but who knows how much is factual.

Whether a "Custom" pipe is perfect is likely a matter of opinion but it sounds good to say ya have one or built one. I suspect that how good a custom pipe performs mostly depends on the experience and success rate of the builder.

If you're building to be competitive in a 250cc & up class the Blaster might not be a good choice to start with. If your building for fun, a hacked up pipe or frame might be OK. Compared to the Blaster motor I don't think the 250 dirt bike motors are as rider friendly with the wrong trans gear sets and raging power band. When you're done you'll have a lot of problem solving experience and a hybrid that's probably worth less than a stock Blaster.
That said, Mine will always be a hack job, but I still really like it.

try a trx250 or lt250 quad engine. i think they're counter balanced too, think i heard that somewhere, so it'll have barely an vibration unlike the dirtbike engines.

They are all easy once you make new mounts and find a pipe- <<<<< Theres the problem haha

Oh yes, and find a rad that fits, and mount it! With hoses on the right rides.
...and an airbox adapter. That hung me up for a while. Coulda stuck a K&N on it but all the dirt flings up there.
Did I mention a kick starter that doesn't hit the frame? Rear mount that fits the swingarm?

Listen carefully to what YZ Otis says about transmission gear ratios and power delivery and ongoing project.
The MX bikes have too close a ratio, the DT200 too wide a ratio.
Both have the power come on in a huge blast on top end. Usually just ends up in roost.
You gotta put a lot of effort in to "ride the pipe" to get what these engines give.

It sounds and looks easy. I have been swapping engines for 35 years. Paid my way through trade school doing it.
It is not easy. And most projects get mired to a stop. Even some of mine. A junk pile of unfinished business.
Seen a lot of swaps started, fewer finished, and even fewer that were better than the original.

The Blaster motor is a simple and strong and cheap motor to rebuild and modify.
It is vastly under stressed. Easy to double its HP for about $100 of machine work that I see.
The Blaster gear ratios are perfect, and there are 6 of them. No rad to puncture,
no water seals to leak. Everything fits and there is great aftermarket support.

If you can make the Blaster engine work, it is your best bet.
This from a guy who rides a swap (and helps maintain a more normal Blaster).

I was thinking about doing a motor swap to my spare frame but decided not two. Between the cost and time, I would rather just go with a top of the line BBK. 250 power is nice but what good is it if all your doing is wasting speed do to wheel spin.

I was thinking about doing a motor swap to my spare frame but decided not two. Between the cost and time, I would rather just go with a top of the line BBK. 250 power is nice but what good is it if all your doing is wasting speed do to wheel spin.

All depends on your needs & imagination. Tall paddles in the sand are hard to spin ... the acceleration & tryin to keep the front down while banging through the gears is awesome for an old fart like me :)

All depends on your needs & imagination. Tall paddles in the sand are hard to spin ... the acceleration & tryin to keep the front down while banging through the gears is awesome for an old fart like me :)

It would work great for the dunes but as a trail ride, I think it would not be so good.

It would work great for the dunes but as a trail ride, I think it would not be so good.

Don't misunderstand, it ain't all bad and it's usually exciting to ride. Our mudlites hook up great on our trails and the YZ is scary quick. Way too quick for my reflexes but it gives my heart a good workout.

The 600 I'm gonna run on street and trails. For the street I have slicks and once warmed up they stick pretty well. I'm trying to find a nice set of trail tires for when that day comes lol. Right now I just have Fast Trekkers

I did get a decent deal but in reality they do sell for about 3-400. They are a good motor and fairly cheap.

And heavy, require a complete hackup of the frame, and won't have even CLOSE to the same resale value as a regular blaster with decent aftermarket parts (and that's not saying too much, stock blasters don't sell very high).

I see street bike swap projects pop up on CL from time to time. Sad to say but they are generally less expensive than if they were selling the engine by itself....