Blaster go kart?

JD3020

Oct 30, 2008
Farmersville, Ohio
Well as many of you know i found a blaster in the garage of my brothers new house. I started tearing it down and then stopped and sold the only valuable stuff, the carb and rear hydros. Its just set in pieces, and today i got a idea. Ive always wanted a Honda Oddysey go kart, but the only ones around here that are decent are 2000 bucks or more. But i do have a fairly complete Blaster roller and a old 6hp briggs motor on our lawn mower. I got thinking about it at our shop and then my brother came back and i talked to him. He has a welder, access to shops, tools, can get materials, and is pretty good at fabbing up stuff and welding. I talked to him and he said he would help me do it if i got tires for it since it has no tires.

Now i want your guys input on my idea. Dont tell me to just turn it into a running blaster because if i really wanted to i could do it. I want to be different though. Im wanting to make a Blaster go kart. I figured that since it already has steering, front brakes, front and rear suspension, and a decent frame itd work good. Im thinking about making it so my feet go up between the a-arms and my legs somewhat stay in the frame. We will probably turn it into a entire new frame from there back to the swinger. Make it wider, and incorporate a roll cage of some sort. Probably close to where the motor would be, we would put a seat and make linkage to use the steering wheel off of the lawn mower to work on the blaster. Right behind the seat id mount a motor, either the crappy Briggs or find another cheap motor. Im not quite sure how i would do all the controls. It still has the front brakes intact but they need work, and i have a clutch lever and throttle to put on the mower motor so id work that in. Or make it like a slap shift. Id most likely not worry about trying to get rear brakes since i sold the hydros, and itd make for less of a hassle. Length wise we might extend the frame a foot or more, maybe widen the entire thing but i dont want to cut it a whole lot. The biggest problem i see with lengthening it will be weakened. As of right now this is just a idea, and we havent really done anything. I havent even attempted to sit in the frame so im not sure how well it will work for this. I understand that this is gonna take a lot of fabricating, but if we are going to have to completely change everything(like cut between the a-arms and widen it a bunch) i think i will just forget about the whole thing and scrap it. But if we do do it ill keep you guys posted.

What do you guys think? Do you think im completely crazy, that its impossible, or has anybody else done it? Is there a big flaw in my plans? One thing that will be cool about it is it will be one of a kind. Hopefully i can find decent rims and tires cheap, and then get to start the wonderful build process. If anybody has any cheap blaster rims and tires, dont have to be in great shape but dont want crap, let me know. I might be interested.

I think i found the one you were talking about. They built a go kart and put a blaster motor in it. Im going to attempt to make the blaster a go kart and put another motor in it. I found a video of some people who built a go kart using a blaster front end and as i figured they had to widen the front of the frame that the a-arms mount to so they could get their feet in, so i might have to do that. Also, anybody have experience with making the blaster frame longer? Like at 20 inches or so longer, just a wild guess, would i have to really reinforce it so it doesnt break? Im trying to think this through before i start really working on it.

would you just leave it a bear frame then with no plastics im asuming? it sounds like itd be really cool when done but would take a lot of time, go for it im sure as your going youll figure out what works and what doesnt, just start sketcking what you want the frame to look like before you do any cutting, once you get the frame right just play around with it from there, as far as the roll cage im not sure how that would look, in the illinois auto rv trader theres always adds for cheap atv go carts that are like an inch off the ground but still are atvs, they come with the go carts slicks and every thing, they have plastics and look really good but i dont think thats what your looking for, well good luck and if you do it post picsI:II:I

would you just leave it a bear frame then with no plastics im asuming? it sounds like itd be really cool when done but would take a lot of time, go for it im sure as your going youll figure out what works and what doesnt, just start sketcking what you want the frame to look like before you do any cutting, once you get the frame right just play around with it from there, as far as the roll cage im not sure how that would look, in the illinois auto rv trader theres always adds for cheap atv go carts that are like an inch off the ground but still are atvs, they come with the go carts slicks and every thing, they have plastics and look really good but i dont think thats what your looking for, well good luck and if you do it post picsI:II:I

Yeah, its gonna be mostly the frame. I have a aftermarket front bumper that is bent, so i might try to fix it, and i have the front fenders and the hood so ill mount those on. I dont have rear fenders, but if i can find a good deal on rear plastics and tires around here ill work them in also if i do it. I might try to draw what i have planned, but i suck at drawing. What i have in mind is similar to like a blaster limo with a roll cage and the seat down inside the frame. Thats about the best way i can describe what i want to build without drawing it. Of course who knows what it will turn out like.

This is about the only thing that i can find using stuff from a blaster.
Home made Go-Kart Video@@AMEPARAM@@http://embed.break.com/346368@@AMEPARAM@@346368
But im going to keep the swinger and rear end stock if possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
i would jsut go sit by your frame for a while with a peice of paper, dont got to be an amazing drawing, but its easier when you have it in front of you

There are a ton of things that need to be considered before the first cut is made. Is the engines weight going to be sprung or unsprung? Are you going to ride IN this or ON this? Honestly the easiest/safest way to go about this would be to fab up a tube chassis floorpan then add your suspension parts as assemblies cut off of the old frame to keep the geometry right. Just a couple of thoughts.

Measure twice cut once...

Put some yamaha golf cart tires on the back!!

There are a ton of things that need to be considered before the first cut is made. Is the engines weight going to be sprung or unsprung? Are you going to ride IN this or ON this? Honestly the easiest/safest way to go about this would be to fab up a tube chassis floorpan then add your suspension parts as assemblies cut off of the old frame to keep the geometry right. Just a couple of thoughts.

The engine will be sprung. Im going to lengthen the frame so the motor will fit behind the seat in front of the swingarm. I am going to be riding in the frame like a go kart, which is why we are going to have to be cutting and welding. We might do it the way you are saying, but im not really sure. Once i can get some tires im going to see what all tubing my brother can get me. I also have access to a pipe bender, and a huge metal shop so it should help. We might just build the roll cage and all at my brothers buddies shop and then weld the front and rear suspension on like you are saying. But so far we dont really have any plans.

And 89, im not quite sure what motor im going to use. I only have one decent motor with a gearbox to use which is the 7 hp or whatever it is. I might be able to squeeze a little bit more power out of it and gear it low, but it wont be setting any speed records. Or there is a 250 4 stroke with everything it needs for 300 on craiglist, so im going to keep an eye on it. I want to go that route but im not sure how we will work in the throttle, clutch, shifter, and front brakes. But both motors are electric start.

try to build a go cart with fully independant suspension, that would be wild, you would need some kind of trasfer case, possibly out of a newer fully independant quad.
You know what would be really crazy, is to take one of those yamaha wolverine chassis,(awd semi race quad)
and make it into a go cart ahah

try to build a go cart with fully independant suspension, that would be wild, you would need some kind of trasfer case, possibly out of a newer fully independant quad.
You know what would be really crazy, is to take one of those yamaha wolverine chassis,(awd semi race quad)
and make it into a go cart ahah

Thatd cost way to much to do that. The main reason im doing this is because i have the blaster just sitting at my brothers rusting away and taking up space so im going to try to use as much of it as possible. I actually havent seen many go karts with a swing arm rear end set up like a quad, so it will different. But it will have independent front suspension, so thats a plus.

Here is the motor im looking at. http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/1104336109.html I have like 650 bucks to work with right now so that will take a big chunk of my money out. Or i can always get some out of my savings until i start work this summer.

Your on the right track with the roll cage idea. Honestly build the roll cage, mount the suspension assemblies to the cage, brace it all very well, then you will be ready for an engine. Cool thing about this setup is that you dont have to be 100% sure what engine you are going to run initially because you can always change the sprocket location on the axle. I would try to stick to industry standards when possible. For example use the "twin tube" engine mount setup found on racing karts and you will be able to literally BOLT ON any motor from a Briggs all the way up to 250cc MX motors all by just buying a set of motor mounts. Here is a pic of what Im talking about http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Brig...D6VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em146

They make this style mount for about any motor you would ever want on a kart. Plus its easy to fabricate, its just 2 parallel tubes that the mount bolts/clamps onto. Once again just a few thoughts and Im not trying to tell you how to do your build but take it from me....Your a lot more ambitious in the beginning of a project than when your 60% through it. Keep it simple, standardized, and repairable and you wont be disappointed!!

Your on the right track with the roll cage idea. Honestly build the roll cage, mount the suspension assemblies to the cage, brace it all very well, then you will be ready for an engine. Cool thing about this setup is that you dont have to be 100% sure what engine you are going to run initially because you can always change the sprocket location on the axle. I would try to stick to industry standards when possible. For example use the "twin tube" engine mount setup found on racing karts and you will be able to literally BOLT ON any motor from a Briggs all the way up to 250cc MX motors all by just buying a set of motor mounts. Here is a pic of what Im talking about http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Brig...D6VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em146

They make this style mount for about any motor you would ever want on a kart. Plus its easy to fabricate, its just 2 parallel tubes that the mount bolts/clamps onto. Once again just a few thoughts and Im not trying to tell you how to do your build but take it from me....Your a lot more ambitious in the beginning of a project than when your 60% through it. Keep it simple, standardized, and repairable and you wont be disappointed!!

I think i understand what your saying. What ive been doing today is looking, and i found a bunch of banshee parts for sale but im not sure if they are gone or not. My front hubs dont seem to turn straight, they wobble some. The front brakes dont work at all. You cant adjust them and the cable wont move at all so they are about worthless. And the rear axle isnt super easy to turn and acts like something is dragging, so is this maybe bad bearings? The guy with the banshee stuff has front front spindles and hubs with new bearings, a black axle carrier with new bearings, rear hubs, rear tires, stock axle, and front calipers with new pads. If i bought that stuff would i be able to somewhat easily replace the blaster parts with them? I havent emailed the guy yet to find out prices or if he has them, but i did talk to dad last night and he said i could buy stuff for it. So would all of those banshee parts work good on the blaster?

engines still guna be pussy. drop something bigger than a 6hp brigs.

I most likely am. I posted a link on the first page of the motor im looking at, which is a 250 4 stroke with everything it needs to run for 300. Hopefully the guy emails me about it tonight so i can maybe pick it up sometime. Tomorrow id like to get the motor, banshee parts if the guy still has them, and maybe wheels if i can find some.

ya im with 89 dont start buying things, wait till your 100% sure about whats going on and what your plans are, also you said you have a 650 budget, so id be looking for the best prices you can on things

I have a friend who tried something like this with a 250 quadrunner. He had access to everything a welder, plasma cutter, grinder and everything else in-between. Needless to say, buy the time he cut up the frame and widend/exteded, mounted up the shocks, he gave up. Now I'm not saying it can't be done, but it will be a ton of work to make it up.
Good luck man.