Blaster getting hard to start?

Blasterman96

Mar 18, 2012
Missouri
Ever since I mixed my new gas my blaster has been getting harder to start, I used a 2.12 gallon tank I normally use 2.5 gallon but my dad lost it , and. Use the super tech 2-stroke oil (little bottles so I can just pour it in) and now it smokes a lot more i was running 40:1 now it should be somewhere around 32:1??? It smokes a lot more, harder to start, will get started and run it and then won't start for awhile, what do you think could be my problem I plan on draining the gas and buy a new gas tank (not blaster tank) so I can mix , hopefully I didn't mess anything up.

this is your problem........super tech 2-stroke oil

a google search shows that to be walmart brand outboard 2 stroke oil, designed for water cooled boat motors.:eek:

super tech 2-stroke oil - Google Search

it says it can be for pre-mix, or injection ?......not !
oil is either for premixing, or injection, not both

blasters are an air cooled 2 stroke, and require oil designed for an air cooled 2 stroke engine, not cheap little bottles of walmart brand outboard oil,
do not run the little bottles from the convenince store for weed whackers either...:eek:

or your next thread very well may be "what piston should I buy"

i recommend you drain that garbage and get some yamalube or maxima super M, (be sure the oil is for premixing not injection)
and a ratio rite cup, to get your mix correct for any size can.

super m premix formula:
Maxima Super M 2T Oil 1 2 Gallon 20964 | eBay

ratio-rite cup:
Ratio Rite Premix Gas Fuel Oil Mixer Mixing 2 Stroke Measuring Cup with Lid | eBay

get yourself a new B8ES plug too, that ones probably toast from the wrong ratio mix, of the wrong oil.

Last edited by a moderator:
As Awk says the oil is not suitable for air cooled motorcycle engines.

Mix a good quality oil at 32:1 or a greater concentration of oil and jet accordingly.

Plug chop to confirm the jetting.

The super has been working fine EVERYTIME I run at 40:1 and I've run close to 8 tanks through it with super tech oil, and that oil is ridiculously expensive

"blasters are an air cooled 2 stroke, and require oil designed for an air cooled 2 stroke engine, not cheap little bottles of walmart brand outboard oil,
do not run the little bottles from the convenince store for weed whackers either...

or your next thread very well may be "what piston should I buy"

Put good fuel/oil and a new plug in, if that doesn't fix it do a compression test. You may have discovered how long a top end can survive on Wal-Mart oil.

I just checked my super tech bottle and it says for air-cooled two strokes

For constant controlled temperatures, yes, but for air cooled motorcycles with varying temperatures , no.

The oil does not have the properties to handle the differing range of temperatures experienced by conventional air cooled motorcycle engines!

Super Tech Universal 2-Cycle Engine Oil is specially formulated for use in air-cooled two-cycle engines in such devices as lawn mowers, string trimmers, and chainsaws.

Nowhere does it say, air cooled motorcycle engines.

I've been running super tech oil for close to 2 years , ya I know I said I've run about 8 or more tanks thru it with super tech oil i dont drive it much , and this is the first issue I've had and I think it's because I was mixing with a 2.12 gallon tank

I've been running super tech oil for close to 2 years , ya I know I said I've run about 8 or more tanks thru it with super tech oil i dont drive it much , and this is the first issue I've had and I think it's because I was mixing with a 2.12 gallon tank

If you choose not to heed the advice of those who have been there, done that many years ago, then be it on your head.

Be advised by one of those that know, use a quality oil designed for the purpose that it is intended for.

Mix at 32:1 or greater with a recommended measure and plug chop to confirm that your jetting is correct.

it smokes a lot more i was running 40:1 now it should be somewhere around 32:1??? .

You have added oil which will attribute to the smoke.

More oil = less fuel you will now be running lean!

You need to re jet and readjust your idle setting.

Last edited:
Well I don't want to go thru the trouble of rejetting so ill keep running 40:1 , what's a good oil then, would stihl oil work, if it works for chainsaws, leaf lowers, weed eaters, etc it should work for a blaster?

I think it's because I was mixing with a 2.12 gallon tank

do you not watch the gallons on the fuel pump, and stop at 2 gallons ?
whats the reason for filling it to the brim, then have mixing nightmares ?
pump exactly 2 gallons into it, even if it's a 10 gallon can you can let your finger off that little trigger at 2 gallons.
then add 8 ounces of 2 stroke motorcycle oil desinged for mixing, and air cooled engines.

Well I don't want to go thru the trouble of rejetting so ill keep running 40:1 , what's a good oil then, would stihl oil work, if it works for chainsaws, leaf lowers, weed eaters, etc it should work for a blaster?

NO !
whats your beef with the correct oil for the application ?

mix 32:1 and bump your main jet up 1 size.

or, you can disregaurd the advice of those with experience who replied ,
and get this instead............

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wiseco-66mm...ies&hash=item20c6deae92&vxp=mtr#ht_2867wt_902

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldent touch this subject with a 40 ft pole all i can say is i use amsoil dominator at 32:1 and have never once had a problem with it regardless of what ever octane gas i use (91) ad 2.15 gallons is an absolute cluster Phuck with trying to figure how much to mix in it.

Why are you so against 40:1

40:1 serves zero benefit, and makes mixing a cluster of phucklings. I:I

4 ounces divides evenly into every size bottle of oil made, 8oz, 16oz, 32oz and 64oz (at least good 2 stroke oils)
which = zero waste/leftovers per bottle @ 32:1

how many ounces to 2.15 gallons = 40:1 ?
and how much is left in each bottle at the end ?

why are you so against the proper oil @ the most widely used ratio ever ?

40:1 runs great for me and with a 2-1/2 gallon gas can the 8 oz mixes perfectly which makes 40:1( i dont have just 2 gallon tanks, he closest is that 2.12 gallon tank i have) just re-mixed a batch of gas and started first kick (40:1) runs just fine now, thread can be closed