Blaster flooding overnight???

bobrown

Oct 30, 2011
pineland texas
well i have a basically stock blaster with open air box, and gutted and welded pipe, stock carb... anyway i noticed my petcock was leaking gas while i had the tank off, it leaks a few drops a min... what i dont understand is how it can flood my engine out overnight when there is a drain on the carb??? any help would be appreciated...

Sounds like you may need to do a good cleaning. When gas gets old, it starts to break down and gum up your carb. If a good cleaning don't work, replace the float and needle valve.

I have had the carb off more times than i can count getting the jetting right, and also cleaned the S*** out of it lol... new pilot and main jet in and cleaned all passages with guitar strings, then blown out with air... But it seems even if i had a major clog anywhere, unless the drain tube was clogged, it should just simply flow out onto the ground right?

the seat and valve are not sealing properly. it needs a rebuild kit. or if you can deal with the drip for now just remember to turn the gas petcock valve to off when it is going to sit for more than a few minutes. this will help not let so much gas get into the engine.

There is a trick I've heard of before. It may help your situation.

Dakota and Tater are onto the problem with the float needle BUTTTTTTT sometimes it's not just the needle... sometimes someone cleaned the seat out by scraping it with screwdriver to remove the crud. The float needle needs a good round hole for the rubber tip to seal against. If the seat is scratched, the rubber won't seal and it'll leak gas forever. Even a new rubber tip (replacement float seal) won't help because the seat can be damaged. The way to repair a seat? A "Q-tip" rubbed with rubbing compound, cheap toothpaste, polishing compound, or valve lapping compound (basically anything with "grit" in it) You spin the "Q-tip" around for a while and then clean the grit out to inspect.

Reactions: bobrown
Thanks and actually somehow i had to pull the fuel hose off and plug it every night, i guess the drip was more like a stream lol, i had another petcock from my other yz parts bike i stole, it worked great...

Also one more question since i have my prob.. fixed now, my buddy has a blaster too, its plain stock other than tires and oil block off, i rode his the other day and it ran nice but he said that he pulled a spark plug out of a lawn mower and had been runnig it for a while... Is this bad? I dont remember the number but i kno it was something 6

Also one more question since i have my prob.. fixed now, my buddy has a blaster too, its plain stock other than tires and oil block off, i rode his the other day and it ran nice but he said that he pulled a spark plug out of a lawn mower and had been runnig it for a while... Is this bad? I dont remember the number but i kno it was something 6

yeah thats not good. it needs an NGK B8ES..

Reactions: bobrown
Lol well i told him to go buy the right plug... but he was like ooohh,, its been running this one for a long time and never fouled it.. It must not be too bad, he has been running it hard for a while and the dam thing still runs great and has good compression..

Lol well i told him to go buy the right plug... but he was like ooohh,, its been running this one for a long time and never fouled it.. It must not be too bad, he has been running it hard for a while and the dam thing still runs great and has good compression..

i would say he got lucky and used a lawnmower plug that is fairly close to the correct length and heat range...lol

I dont think a 6 range plug would cause enough problems to damage a piston, but it may happen depending on the fuel octane rating.

Most piston burnouts are caused by detonation from weak mixtures, or by excessive timing advance.

A smelly exhaust can point to problems, some premix oil smells different and is quite normal, but if the smell is really foul (like a Japanese soldiers jock strap) and the motor is getting hot, it could be caused by a leaky crank seal.

If there is more smoke than normal, especially white smoke, get a leak down test done on the crankcase.