blaster dumping fuel out of the exhaust

jjh490

Aug 7, 2011
just got a 99 blaster the other day and it pours fuel out of the exhaust port on the motor when i try to start it. the guy said it was freshly rebuilt and bored 80 over but i really dont know anything about the quad tho. it has started a couple of times using starting fluid but otherwise wont run. need help wat do think it could be

Definite carb problem, remove the carb and clean thoroughly with carb cleaner and light compressed air. Pull the pin through the floats and lift carefully, small parts go missing easily. Check the rubber tip on the jets when you lift the floats. Replace the floats the same as you took apart and check the float-to-gasket height and report back.

Goodluck

ok ive had the carb apart once but didnt take the jets out. wats making it dump so much fuel? could it be the reeds

The fuel doesn't get to the reeds before it pours. I have this problem on a regular basis, dirty fuel clogs the floats causing excess fuel to get into the carb bowl, after a certain point of over filling the fuel leaks from the overflow to the rear of the carb. I just take 15 minutes to clean and blow out the carb and I'm good. If cleaning doesn't work the only explanation would be mis-adjusted floats.

Ahh. Only thing I can think of would be a broken piston skirt. Meaning a top end rebuild is in order. I'm no expert though.
How did it run when you got to go? Erratic revving or anything out of the ordinary?

happened to me. i think its just the overflow pipe. some of it fell on my head pipe and i thought its a leak somewhere but was told on here that its just the overflow. Also clean ur carb and airfilter. The fuel leak from the exhaust port i have no idea about..

its a carb issue, probably floats sticking or mis adjusted, check the path of fuel from the tank down, make sure that there is clean fuel from the petcock down. you probably have so much gas overflowing into the cylinder its going out the exhaust.

its a carb issue, probably floats sticking or mis adjusted, check the path of fuel from the tank down, make sure that there is clean fuel from the petcock down. you probably have so much gas overflowing into the cylinder its going out the exhaust.

I have to agree with the float idea because I just went through it a week ago on a CR250...carb was peeing because the float was not closing properly, got gas all over. Now it is perfect after an in depth carb cleaning.

I have to agree with the float idea because I just went through it a week ago on a CR250...carb was peeing because the float was not closing properly, got gas all over. Now it is perfect after an in depth carb cleaning.

Mis-adjusted carb floats would only overflow the carb bowel, not the cylinder.

the floats would have to not be closing the needle valve set thus gas would pour through into the cylinder, usually this happens due to dirt getting into the carb, inline fuel filters are a lifesaver on this issue b/c the in tank setup the blaster uses has many flaws.

An overflowing carb cannot pour excess fuel into the cylinder, the fuel and air mixture is controlled by the air screw and the throttle. Unless you have the throttle wide open it is not a carb problem. Also the fuel would flow from the overflow pipes if the bowel was filling excessively.

An overflowing carb cannot pour excess fuel into the cylinder, the fuel and air mixture is controlled by the air screw and the throttle. Unless you have the throttle wide open it is not a carb problem. Also the fuel would flow from the overflow pipes if the bowel was filling excessively.

not necessarily...it can get more complicated than that. unless the needle is seated in the jet so far to close it. which this is not possible if the quad idles. i've had cyliders full of gas and the only place it can come from is the fuel tank, filter, petcock, fuel line, bowl, through the main jet, or other internal passages so if he has fuel coming out that is the path and the problem will be in the carb. where the carb got the problem is what really needs to be figured out, most likely it is a cleaning issue just because there are fail safes with overflows doesnt mean they are routed correctly or that the vents are working for them to operate properly, that is also most likely why his quad doesn't run well

It can also be that fuel has overflowed through the carburetor into the crankcase, if that happens and the crankcase gets filled with oil/fuel mixture then the piston when it comes up will suck fuel out of the crankcase and into the exhaust port.. check the oil level also remove the oil fill cap and see if it smells like gas.

don't know where my post went, but it can also be crankcase filled with gas. usually caused by a carb problem. (especially if someone has plugged the overflow hose on the bowl, or misadjusted floats. etc.) can also be caused by a broken piston skirt. i would check the oil, make sure it doesn't smell like gas, if so change it and check the carb.