Blaster clutch issues

LandRocket

Mar 9, 2014
New york state
Hello :cool:, im new to this forum, & new with blasters. I just picked up a 03 blaster & Im wondering if anybody can explain to me why or how to fix/adjust my clutch on 03 blaster. Ive noticed when i go to shift into first from neutral i firmly hold the clutch in all the way and shift into first & the quad starts to move as if i was letting of the clutch. i also noticed if i hold the clutch more than half way in & shift into first gear it doesnt move one bit.
My whole big question is, Can i adjust my clutch? & how do i adjust it? Thanks :D

are you allowing it to warm up completely ? the plates may stick until warmed up.
i'd replace that stretched clutch cable and change the the fluid to see if that helps ?
if not, it's time to do an internal rod adjustment.
thats covered in the manual, available for download in the general support section,
and can be seen in these 2 videos......

http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/blaster-clutch-assembly-vid.42901/

http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/kor-engine-assembly-vids-no-crank-puller-needed.51169/

Reactions: LandRocket
Yeah, i let it warm up. It doesnt do it all the time only sometimes. & the gear box fluid "oil" is what your talking about? Also the clutch cable as in the cable leading from the handle bars down to the clutch itself on motor? Thanks you for the reply!! :D

Yeah, i let it warm up. It doesnt do it all the time only sometimes. & the gear box fluid "oil" is what your talking about? Also the clutch cable as in the cable leading from the handle bars down to the clutch itself on motor? Thanks you for the reply!! :D

yes, gearbox fluid, 650ml of good oil, some run belray gearsaver, honda hp, ATF fluid, ect.
i run mobile1 full synth 10-40
and a new clutch cable from lever to clutch actuator on the engine

i just picked up some SUNOCO SAE 10 - 40W engine oil, Will that be okay to put in my gear box? The weather is still a bit cold where i am, around 25-50 degrees out around this time of year intill summer hits and its around 90 degrees Plus!, Should i run "10 - 30w" because its warmer weather?

i'm not sure about that particular sunoco brand, it cannot have any friction modifiers in it or the clutch will start slipping, best to stick to oil rated for wet clutch gearboxes from a local dealership or advanced auto parts.

i'm not sure about that particular sunoco brand, it cannot have any friction modifiers in it or the clutch will start slipping, best to stick to oil rated for wet clutch gearboxes from a local dealership or advanced auto parts.
alright well this helped me with a few things, im going to check with my local napa store for engine oil and ams 2 stroke oil. im thinking they should have something very close. Thank you very much.

Also check for clutch basket wear, it also has a similar symptom, as well as difficulty selecting neutral(because it is not dis engaged properly)
Its a cheap fix using a file, but do some homework before getting into it. There are recent threads on that topic too.

i have a hard time finding nutral alot of the times. How do i check for basket wear?, sorry for all the questions im still very new with two strokes & yamaha blasters.

The basket fingers will have grooves where the plates have worn them.

Untitled.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
edited to show better /\ :)

file them down slightly, prolly not get them completely flat, but smoother will help.

i found out today i didnt have nearly any oil in my gear box, so i picked up some AFT type F & filled my gear box 650mm, I did some research and found that ATF type F Only!, is comminly used with 2 stroke blasters. Whats your guys thought on running "ATF Type F" in the 2 stroke blasters?

i found out today i didnt have nearly any oil in my gear box, so i picked up some AFT type F & filled my gear box 650mm, I did some research and found that ATF type F Only!, is comminly used with 2 stroke blasters. Whats your guys thought on running "ATF Type F" in the 2 stroke blasters?
That could be part of the reson my clutch wasnt disengaging properly,

yep :)

That could be part of the reson my clutch wasnt disengaging properly,

and yep again :)

keep us posted