blaster bogging down!

Lloyd Williams

Dec 6, 2010
Hi all,

Having a little trouble with my blasty! was out riding on the week end wen my blaster bogged a Little. i carried on as normal i rode about 800 yards wen it just died down and wouldnt start. i towed my blasty with my mates yz 125 through the fields to find a spot to bump start it. it did start but only ran for about 2mins and boge3d back out i decided to towe it back to my home.

I got the blaster home and it started wen i kicked it but only with the choke out, wen i put the choke in an give it a little rev its verry boggy not reaching revs i have cleaned the filter and put a fresh spark plug in, the bike seemed to be responding a lilttle better but its still boggy an i now its not going to run for far if i ride it.

The bike has just come out of my local shop after an engine rebuild and was running fine for the last to rides. the shop pulled to oil mix pipe from my carb and i was told to mix my self which i did, the bike has been running fine with this fuel for the last to rides, the mix was 125ml to a gallon of fuel.

any ideas would be most appreciated I:I

i dont have any thing that i could do a compression test with? do u think i could have an air leak after it just coming out of the shop, should it not be starting with low compression. i have only had 4 rides on this blaster since i swapped my bike for it the second ride i blew it up paid for a full rebuild an the forth was this ride.
i dont seem to be having much luck with this blaster lol and beginning to wish i hadnt swapped my rm for an atv :-/

the blaster was running better than ever wen it came outa the shop their normally really good and the quad sound nice and crisp the jets musta been fine or it woulda run like crap wouldnt have it????? it seems to rev ok for a few mins the boggy then crap what i mean is it will rev up but then it wont if u now was i mean

if it was running a little lean it would be running fine until it blows up. why did it need rebuilt in the first place? did you have the shop check the jetting?

i had the shop check over basically everything, is a 125ml to a gallon a lean mix i though this was adequit? the reason it went into the shop was when i swapped for the quad the guy saig ger it serviced its had been standindg a while, i didnt do this because we had 2 foot of snow and just couldnt resist to have a bash. the guy told me the oil mixer was disconected wen it wasnt so i mixed 125ml to a gallon put it in the tank the mixer ran dry and it blew well thats the reson the shop told me. wen i kick it there seems to be plenty of compression in the kick start.

i had the shop check over basically everything, is a 125ml to a gallon a lean mix i though this was adequit? the reason it went into the shop was when i swapped for the quad the guy saig ger it serviced its had been standindg a while, i didnt do this because we had 2 foot of snow and just couldnt resist to have a bash. the guy told me the oil mixer was disconected wen it wasnt so i mixed 125ml to a gallon put it in the tank the mixer ran dry and it blew well thats the reson the shop told me. wen i kick it there seems to be plenty of compression in the kick start.

hey, just wondering if the shop did the rebuild and you only rode it 4 times they didn't give you warranty?

if you go from the auto mixer to the premix you usually will have to step up in main jet to compensate. lean meaning your air fuel mix not your oil to fuel mix...

ok thanks im going to get a m8 to clean my carb out and check the jetting on sunday. im the type of guy who just pays to get stuff fixed my m8 going to show me how to clean the carb out as i thought maybe this might of been the problem as i was in deep bogs in my las ride. i have seen the diy carb cleaning tutorial and it looks a little advanced for me 8-|

so far ive ruled out:

the air filter have cleaned it

the fuel because it was running fine on it all day and i mixed as allways have done

the spark plug because replaced with new lol

is there any thing else u can thing i need to check?

also checked to see if the parking break by the rear brake had stuck even tho i think its been disconected

these are going to sound stupid questions but im not very mechanical but im learning by the day on this forum.

how do u tell the jet sizes?
what do i need for a compresion test and can i buy a kit to do it o summing?

as far as the modding goes it got fatboy 2 exhaust paul turner expansion chamber not sure on reeds coz ive never opend her up myself or weather the carbs stock it doesnt look stock as from other pics ive seen of blaster carbs
its basicaly paul turner every thing. not sure if any of that helped lol but thanks for the help and advice so far!

also how do i check too see if the tors is connected all ive learnt so far is that the tors is a shut off to do with throttle over ride is that correct

im going to try and take of the carb on my blaster tomorro and give it a clean, check the reeds see if their cracked or damaged. managed to start it after about 4 kicks with the choke out its idling nice and reving nice with choke out wen i put the choke back in it will rev up but its still got flat spots now and again and their sometimes bad wich it then dies out, it was a lilltle bit better than the other day so hope fully i can fix it and theres nothing major wrong is there any thing else u lot should think i could check? while im at it!;)

ok thanks allot ill let u now how it goes tomorro night as soon as it done if its not fixed ill upload a vid an show u and see what you think :)

i think ive found the problem snapped reed. im trying to find a place to buy new reeds any one now any sites? also will boyseen reeds or any after market reeds fit the stock reed cage and if so will i need to rejet my carb? thanks.I:I