BJM's WR250 Blaster Build

Well i know its been awhile, but its almost done, a few setbacks and some laziness kicked in due to it being my vacation. Anyways, just need to bleed the brakes, and plumb the radiator and finish up the pipe, it rolls, and steers, which is good progress for me, i had planned on being done and riding by now but oh well, i want it right.

A-Arm setup mock up
abh4ic.jpg

Painted Axle
14vgs40.jpg

Axle Assembled with hubs, and 2" rear stud spacers installed (soon to be replaced with an axle)
15efnnl.jpg

First stage of a roller
2sbap9x.jpg

Another roller w/o tie rods pic
2ed8sis.jpg

+4 Swingarm/KFX Shock
2crk6j9.jpg

Finishing up the brakes/front end stuff
2czr7s8.jpg

Suspension shot
dli69x.jpg

Another
347gyfp.jpg

Front Shot
35a6v6h.jpg

I should have more tomorrow, i also should have my Nerfs by the end of the week along with my DG YFZ Heel guards and Moose Podium Bumper.

Ben

any more details on the front end build or the lower a arm bushings? that setup looks really good

any more details on the front end build or the lower a arm bushings? that setup looks really good

Well it has a little over 10" of travel, i had more, but was running into issues so i moved the shock tab a little. The lower a-arms are KFX450 arms but i found some bearings by size online and used the stock sleeve from the lower arms and made bushings to they don't move. I will have to see how well the bearings take a load, if they wear out too fast i will make some plastic bushings. I made the upper arms, and i used big bear ball joints and reamed warrior spindles along with using a sleeve for the ball joint to be a press fit in the arms. Overall it was a bit of work, and far from a bolt on. They are about +3.5+1 overall over stock.

As for shocks i used Fox Shocks from an Arctic Cat snowmobile and i made new upper and lower bushings. Shocks seem pretty good but i think i will need to source stiffer springs for my weight.

Ben

I ordered my bumper today, i also scored a deal on a front set of ITP beadlocks ($50), so i bought them, maybe they will be here by the end of the week also. I also finished up the wiring and it works as it should, my last hurdle seems to be the pipe, i am starting to make a flange tomorrow and then i will be mostly finished up besides the silencer and rear brakes...

Ben

them color choices are poppin !!!!!!
i like it, very nice work so far

Well it has a little over 10" of travel, i had more, but was running into issues so i moved the shock tab a little. The lower a-arms are KFX450 arms but i found some bearings by size online and used the stock sleeve from the lower arms and made bushings to they don't move. I will have to see how well the bearings take a load, if they wear out too fast i will make some plastic bushings. I made the upper arms, and i used big bear ball joints and reamed warrior spindles along with using a sleeve for the ball joint to be a press fit in the arms. Overall it was a bit of work, and far from a bolt on. They are about +3.5+1 overall over stock.

As for shocks i used Fox Shocks from an Arctic Cat snowmobile and i made new upper and lower bushings. Shocks seem pretty good but i think i will need to source stiffer springs for my weight.

Ben

Thanks for the info! if I can find parts, I may give it a try. I have access to most of the fab tools that I'd need

This is a very interesting, kick A$$ WR build, I am hooked on this thread!!!
Excellent fab work so far Ben, very impressive, keep up the good work bro...

I am tuned in. I:I

Thanks! As for an update, I got my tusk nerfs, DG yfz heel guards, and moose bumper in. All look great and will look real nice on it. Just waiting on my beadlocks for the front that I scored for $50 to get here. I am currently working on the pipe and this time I have all intensions of riding monday, even if it's just in the yard to hear and see it run!

Ben

Reactions: speedemon17
. I am currently working on the pipe and this time I have all intensions of riding monday, even if it's just in the yard to hear and see it run!

Ben

we demand vids of the maiden voyage !!!!!!!!

Well the weather screwed me today, I did get a couple things done, but I had hoped to ride today. On a positive note, it runs and no engine noise which is good as you never know with a used engine. I will post pics in a bit, all I have left to do is mount the rear brakes and make a caliper bracket, install the nerfs which I need to cut into my gussets to do so, and install my heel guards.

As for vibrations, yeah it has a bit, enough that on first startup every nut/bolt that was loose fell out lol, which was most of them as I was anxious to hear it run, and I didn't rubber mount the lower radiator mount and it broke, so I need to find a solution to that...

Ben

Ok here are a few pics,

Almost complete
2przc5f.jpg

Right side shot of engine area
2ntjmhk.jpg

Left side, you can see where i added a flange to the pipe and you can also see my airbox adaptor setup, which was a rubber plumbing fernco and a piece of PVC pipe.
14lium9.jpg

DG heel guards i need to mount
j8dzkg.jpg

Overall i have only a couple things left to do,
-Make grab bar
-Install rear brakes/make caliper bracket
-Install Tusk Nerfs
-Install DG Heel Guards
-Trim fenders to fit

-RIDE!

Thats my list left to do, obviously there will be more in the future such as an antivibe stem which i have everything but the bars, and i am waiting on my front ITP beadlocks to come in, and i need to find a set of matching rears or possibly go with Hipers. Overall this project has been a bit more work, but i took on everything at once, if i had just been doing a engine swap i would have been long finished but deciding to make the A-arms and swingarm, it took some extra time.

Thats all i have for now, i am hoping to get the Nerfs done tomorrow night after work, and maybe tackle another thing each night after work so maybe, just maybe i can ride next weekend...

Ben

build looks great i would love to see some videos of it all done and riding around!!!! I read through the whole post and i cant remmebr i saw you used the kfx450 lower a arms but did you make custom ones for the top? suspension is a must for these quads if you are not a little kid. I just got into the blaster game after owning a few quads., i couldnt resist the deal on this quad, this is my 6th quad.
1st - 1985 Bayou 185cc
2nd 2002 KawasakiMojave
3rd 2003 Yamaha Limited edition Yellow and Black Banshee
4th 2003 Suzuki z400
5th 2003 Bombardier Ds650 Baja
6th 2003 Yamaha Blaster
Im a huge Honda Fan and am really big into civics yet i have never owned any honda atv or dirtbike. lol

I will get more pics and a couple videos soon. I am dieing to ride it, I am currently working 7 days a week and have had zero free time in the last few weeks, I only need to bleed the front brakes, finish up mounting the rear brakes, and weld together the grab bar, it starts and runs, I'm sure it needs tuning and adjustments but I won't know until I ride it.

Ben