Billet vs. Forged

melonBerry

Jul 10, 2010
va
HEy guys im doing a rebuild on my motor i want to get a clutch basket but im confused on which type to get. BILLET OR FORGED? ima have a vitos 72.5 aggressive trail port w/ power pros pipe vitos 3mm stuffer. wats ur intake guys?:-/

i heard of the magnum great price. i just keep seeing these wiseco forged and hinson billet and i keep wondering will that be more reliable to get. i wonder which metal can stand the most heat and pressure

Forged is allways a better product in my opinion.

thats what i thought because i was thinkin in terms of a forged piston its last longer under heat but i was wondering bout the clutches i havent heard anyone talk bout it yet. and i want to get one but dont want to waste money if the billet clutch can last longer under heat and pressure. plus the wiseco clutch got teflon on it. i wonder if the teflon would peel thru time? if so wouldnt be a good thing

billet and forged are two distinctly different processes and meanings. SOMETIMES they can be intertwined but they're nearly always confused....

Forged means that the metal was "punched" hot into a die form by a HUGE press and it strains the metal (in a good way) and releases some stresses (also in a good way).

Billet means that the material was delivered in a large block and (generally) machined out of that large block down to the part (versus being a cast part that is only finished machined in certain areas).

GENERALLY billet is forged into the blocks that are machined down but a billet can also be extruded or cast (which don't have the strains and stress relief).

In short, the link Awk posted, is the clutch basket I put in the dragger, EXCELLENT unit.

is this really worth the investment or does stock do the job just fine? Obviously because some people are running it it helps, but for what application is it best invested in?

The stock cast clutch basket will "notch" over time on a high horsepower engine, especially one that clutches violently often (rode hard and put up wet, as I've heard it put) The billet (forged) clutch basket will fight notching in high hp engines because the material has the grains forced vertically along the fingers...

They're an absolute necessity in drag applications due to the stressed on the fingers but most racers also run them to keep a sticky clutch from taking them out (and increasing the longevity of the clutch discs due to slipping caused by the notches holding the steel apart slightly) For a lightly modified blaster, the stock basket can take it fine. I'm running a magnum billet clutch basket on the 196cc blaster ( my nitro blend dragger) but a stock basket on my 248cc stroker bbk trail bike.....

i believe that was a stock motor that came in to kens shop
"locked up"

DAYUM! HAD to have been a stress event then. Someone dropped the basket (possibly) and "preloaded" it. Then at high rpm's it couldn't handle it and BOOM! If that was the case, a billet/forged basket COULD have done the same thing.... Micro fatigue fractures are a real problem with ANY aluminum, just ask Airbus about the wing roots on the A380's :eek:

isn't it possible the rivets had just worked so loose it went boom ????

that is a possibility, I had a basket around here that had some play in the rivets.

I would recommend a billet basket for any bike that's going to be ridden hard. I would think that MX riding would be just as hard on one as dragging, you're working the clutch a lot more, couple dumps, some fanning, etc.

and I've only had 1 basket that was usable as is.

well thanx for the insight guys ima be doing alot of trail riding. so ima be dumpin the clutch alot seems alot you would go for the billet. and thats a good detail bout the two sicivicdude thanx

billet vs. forged
from reading this, are there really "forged baskets" ???.............

Billet versus Forged

its on ebay idk how to hyperlink its a wiseco forged clutch basket i thnk its forged aluminum with teflon on the fingers. but i was wondering which one would be worth the use. or if its just a waste of extra dough cuz the specs sound good. but seems like most prefer billet clutch baskets