big bore question

nick9882

Aug 12, 2007
i have a big bore cylinder,it is a stock cylinder with a big bore sleeve,it needs a piston,i was looking at the vitos 240 piston,can i use it in this cylinder,also was wondering if i have to rejet for the big bore,i have a LRD pipe,anyone know what jet to use.

You should use the piston that is matched with the sleeve. Like vito to vito or LA sleeve to their piston.

That's just my opinion!!!

No

It's a good rule of thumb. Many cyl are bored a certain way and they have used a specific piston for that app.

That said, there ain't a law that you can't stick any piston in any hole. A matched set is hard to beat at a rumage sale, though.

A

i got the cylinder from a friend and he does not know what kind of sleeve it is,if i got the vito and it was a LA sleeve do you think it would cause damage of poor performance

???

You are asking about pieces you don't even know what they are. There's no way of telling. YOU will be the best judge. Measure the bore and the piston, check that out first.

A

i know what size the bore is,it is 72.50 but i just dont know what brand piston to put in there,like pitboss said vitos piston is setup for the porrting,just wonder if it was not a vitos sleeve and i put a vitos piston in it,will it even work with stock porting and if i did work do you think it would affect the performance

The Vito

Vito's "little trick" on the piston is just an area or notch that allows the exhaust cycle to begin a little early. Nothing really special. What I am gathering is you have an unknown sleeve and need a plug to hold the rings? In that case get a Wiseco or comprable piston in the proper diameter and you are good to go. Even if you have a Vito sleeve it will work. If it ain't a Vito you will be on the money. Also, if you want to buy from vito, not all pistons have his little notch, just get a standard piston.

Any piston that is the proper size for your bore is a good one. People have opinions about cast or forged, I look at it like the engineers at Yamaha are among the best in the world and they chose a cast piston, second guess them all you want. That said I run forged pistons in all my V-8 motors.

It's all opinion, we all got one..........

A