Big bore kit with oil injection?

Blaster8821

Sep 4, 2014
I have a 1988 Yamaha Blaster that I would like to put a Vito's big bore kit on it. I have done every performance upgrade to the motor without enlarging the piston and carb. the question I have is do I HAVE to remove the oil injection system if I decide to keep my stock carb on it? The reason why I like the oil injection is so I can just fill up and go when trail riding and I know premix makes the gas go bad even faster than regular gas. I'm worried about the oil pump not pumping enough oil to the bigger piston; however, the pump is running off the engine speed so in my mind I feel it would work if I left it on the bike.

Stock oil pump mixes it at about 18:1

That's more than enough for any size blaster engine.

I would say half the people that switch to premix do it for peace of mind. I don't want to worry about bleeding lines if I roll it or anything. So I mix mine 32:1 like most people

Unless you wish to use an oil which will not oil inject, keep the injection system.

If it makes you feel more confident, a larger capacity 2 stroke engine requires less lubrication than a smaller one!

Most people get bigger carbs and mix there gas and oil when they go big bore!
I thing a stock carb is to small on a big bore.
If you are going to use a stock carb, then get it bored out also. That may help? :confused:

I am getting lazy, and some times i wish i did NOT have to mix my gas!
Is it possible to add oil injection to my 36mm PWK carb?

I have a 1988 Yamaha Blaster that I would like to put a Vito's big bore kit on it. I have done every performance upgrade to the motor without enlarging the piston and carb. the question I have is do I HAVE to remove the oil injection system if I decide to keep my stock carb on it? The reason why I like the oil injection is so I can just fill up and go when trail riding and I know premix makes the gas go bad even faster than regular gas. I'm worried about the oil pump not pumping enough oil to the bigger piston; however, the pump is running off the engine speed so in my mind I feel it would work if I left it on the bike.

The answer to the specific question is no, you can leave the injection system operational.

Depending on the header pipe that you use, it may be beneficial to install a larger carby and therefore have to mix the fuel.

If you have a header pipe that favours the low/mid range the small stock carb will be just fine and you may continue using the oil injection.

If you have a big bore with a stock carby and a pipe which favours the top end of the rev range, you may not get the full benefit from the extra cc's.

Bronco hit the nail on the head, big bore, top end pipe and large carby, great combination.

Adding oil injection is a simple matter of drilling the carb close to where the carb fits into the boot and pressing in a spigot.

Check a stock carb to see how not rocket science it is.

Why do a tutorial? everybody wants to delete this flawless system and go to pre-mix anyway. Pre-mixing fuel isn't hard. I just prefer the oil injection system.

I too prefer the oil injection system, it delivers the correct amount of oil for a 200cc engine!

The reason I chose to change to premix is because I prefer to use an oil that is not suitable to inject.

I'm a big "Maxima Super M" fan and use it in my banshee...always have. In the blaster I use
"Maxima Super M Injector". Great stuff! Remember that all the two stroke sleds use oil injection.
Just use a quality oil and mix properly. Good to go.

Thanks everyone for answering the question. I personally just am not a person who likes to premix my gas if I don't have too. the other problem I have with putting a bigger carb on it is how do I hook up the air box to the bigger carb? I hate modifying stuff around the air box. my friends blaster just blew up this weekend due to a air leak. I just want a new boot that is bigger to go around the bigger carb and I cant seem to find one that would fit.

You'll have to try a bolt on pod air filter. Trying to cram the air boot on a bigger carb is a biotch.
I personally don't like the pods either because then the carb is no loner being supported on both ends. (basically hanging off the engine) and they get dirty quick without an air box. I wish someone would make a rubber boot that looks like the stock on with a bigger opening to go over a bigger carb. I have seen one on ebay that's a aluminum box with a bigger boot opening but I don't want to cut out the bottom of the rear fender either.

CFM airboxs are very good. i had one in my white blaster, and waiting on the box for this blaster.

why not cut out the plastics? they are ugly underneath imo. and it doesnt make the fenders weaker

CFM airboxs are very good. i had one in my white blaster, and waiting on the box for this blaster.

why not cut out the plastics? they are ugly underneath imo. and it doesnt make the fenders weaker

I'm thinking about it. I always like knowing that I could go back to the stock way if the new part isn't working properly. In that case I just ruined the stock air box and cant go back unless I buy a new rear fender. and the cost a sh*t load of money.

just take your rear fenders off to test it before cutting them out

and how would an airbox not work?
" I could go back to the stock way if the new part isn't working properl"