Big bore kit differences

*Quad*King*1986

Oct 23, 2011
Bucks county, PA
Hey guys I got a question I've been wondering about for a while now... I want to upgrade my 2000 blaster and get a 240 kit. From what I understand the vito's kit is pretty good & reliable for a bolt-on, but what is the difference from the project blaster standard 240 kit besides the fact I have to send them my head to get worked? Also is one better then the other? I believe the project blaster kit says it comes with mild porting, does the vitos kit come ported at all in any way? My question is can anybody tell me what the exact differences are between the 2 kits and what one should I buy? Thanks in advance...

i havent had any experience with the project blaster stuff but in my opinion you have some options.
1- have you stock cylinder ported, beleive it or not it will out perform a vitos 240 topend out of the box
2-get the vitos 240 and have it ported and head modified, this will be a decent topend and perform very well if setup properly. just remember they send a cast piston with this kit and a wossner is the only forged piston that i know of for it.

3- the l.a. sleeve 240 kit!! this is the top of the line 240 kit and will come with a wossner forged piston and a 250r style reed system and a updated port layout. if i was buying a 240 kit this is what i would look into...

i havent had any experience with the project blaster stuff but in my opinion you have some options.
1- have you stock cylinder ported, beleive it or not it will out perform a vitos 240 topend out of the box
2-get the vitos 240 and have it ported and head modified, this will be a decent topend and perform very well if setup properly. just remember they send a cast piston with this kit and a wossner is the only forged piston that i know of for it.

3- the l.a. sleeve 240 kit!! this is the top of the line 240 kit and will come with a wossner forged piston and a 250r style reed system and a updated port layout. if i was buying a 240 kit this is what i would look into...

I just went to LA sleeves web site and looked at the kit you mentioned earlier, I did not see that it included a wossner piston or the 250 style reed system... It said below the description that those things were also available though. So it almost seems like they will charge extra money for it & it's not included. I'll take your word for it though. And ya the 2nd option you talked about is what I have planned. I'm gonna install the 240 kit and then once I save up for the port job I will send it out. Unfortunately I can't get both done at the same time. How will the vitos 240 kit run straight out of the box w/o porting or anything when it's put on compared to my stock engine now? Will there be a significant notice/increase of power?

My current mods are: hole shot wheels, power core2 silencer. The kid I bought it from didn't do any work to it and it's really clean almost mint condition. I just need to make it faster though! Especially with it being winter time now

I would look into getting a right bend pipe like a power pro or dyno port before jumping into the big bore kit.you can install the pipe onto your current setup for more hp untill you get the bbk, just don't forget to rejet your carb. Your also going to want a larger carb for the kit so keep that in mind along with making the intake work with the larger carb.

when I went from stock to the vito's bbk I didnt see anything to do back flips over running the toomey and 34mm carb ......Id say for the cost go for the port and polish your stock cylinder, get a good pipe and carb, I should have mine this week I'll tell you the difference when I get it on :)

when I went from stock to the vito's bbk I didnt see anything to do back flips over running the toomey and 34mm carb ......Id say for the cost go for the port and polish your stock cylinder, get a good pipe and carb, I should have mine this week I'll tell you the difference when I get it on :)

this is good advise, my airsal (project blaster) BBK is sick, awesome port layout and its all aluminum, no sleeve. the big draw back is u cant bore it though.. a blow up means a re-nik is needed usually. but as said above if u cant get the BBK ported then i would spend the money and get my stock jug worked.

I noticed a big gain when i put my vitos 240bbk on but only after i tuned it out.

Sadly a short time ago before i got my kinks worked out i got my ass handed to me by a bonestock blaster and i mean bonestock!!!

Now i can hold my brothers rm250 at bay for a little bit before he blowes past its all in the tune bro but remember theres no replacement for displacement.

The main differences are the porting and the coating on the Airsal. The Airsal is the best on the market in my opinion.

Well the reason for me doing the entire bbk upgrade was cause what I thought was only a blown head gasket... Turned out to be blown piston/rings, head gasket, and also my stock cylinder appears to have all these cracks on the outside also. Instead of just replacing it with normal factory style parts I figured screw it I'll just start a project and make it balls to the walls fast! (or at least try my best lol). So I think it's not in my best interest to resleeve my stock cylinder since it's all beat up ya know? Oh and when I get my bbk I planned on getting a keihin 35mm PWK carb that's already pre-jetted, can I just put it in like that straight from the box or do I need to pre-jet it for my exact set up? And let's say just for instance I put my bbk on before I purchase the 35mm carb and just run my stock carb the way it is...how bad would it run? And is there a possibility of doing damage to any engine components?

Are the cracks you are referring to look like small spider webs? May just be casting marks. Do you have a local shop that does machinework that can inspect it for you? If the cylinder can be salvaged, may be worth it to try. A new piston and some port work will be a big jump from stock and save you some money over a BBK and supporting mods. Maybe some of the members here can refer you to someone who does good port work and UPS your cylinder to them to evaluate.

Last edited:
Well the reason for me doing the entire bbk upgrade was cause what I thought was only a blown head gasket... Turned out to be blown piston/rings, head gasket, and also my stock cylinder appears to have all these cracks on the outside also. Instead of just replacing it with normal factory style parts I figured screw it I'll just start a project and make it balls to the walls fast! (or at least try my best lol). So I think it's not in my best interest to resleeve my stock cylinder since it's all beat up ya know? Oh and when I get my bbk I planned on getting a keihin 35mm PWK carb that's already pre-jetted, can I just put it in like that straight from the box or do I need to pre-jet it for my exact set up? And let's say just for instance I put my bbk on before I purchase the 35mm carb and just run my stock carb the way it is...how bad would it run? And is there a possibility of doing damage to any engine components?

A pic would help fellow Pa brutha!

Oh and when I get my bbk I planned on getting a keihin 35mm PWK carb that's already pre-jetted, can I just put it in like that straight from the box or do I need to pre-jet it for my exact set up? And let's say just for instance I put my bbk on before I purchase the 35mm carb and just run my stock carb the way it is...how bad would it run? And is there a possibility of doing damage to any engine components?

The jetting for the BBK will have to be done to suit your setup, even then you will possibly need to change them when you do the nessesary plug chops to see if it is right.

With a stock carb on a BBK it will be possible to run it, provided it is jetted correctly, but it most certainly not run to its greatest potential.

You are 100% right about it being casting marks! I just had my older brother/mechanic take a look at it and said it's totally normal... I know a little bit about engines etc so he always helps ne with my repairs or just watches to make sure I do it correctly. But my sleeve def is messed up, I have some deep gouges in the sleeve. Like you mentioned before I could just bore it out and go from there. You guys think that's my best bet? I just want to get a lot of torque and some more top end speed also. Overall I would lime to see a big improvement on my acceleration/throttle response etc...

The jetting for the BBK will have to be done to suit your setup, even then you will possibly need to change them when you do the nessesary plug chops to see if it is right.

With a stock carb on a BBK it will be possible to run it, provided it is jetted correctly, but it most certainly not run to its greatest potential.

Gotch ya! That makes sense to me... Thanks for the advice. Idk how to rejet my carb maybe my bro does, if not I'll take it to my local performance shop

? I just want to get a lot of torque and some more top end speed also. Overall I would lime to see a big improvement on my acceleration/throttle response etc...

Acceleration and speed don't usually come in the same package, you can have either, or.

But in saying this, it is possible to reach a compromise by combining the right pipe, some other mods, and with the right gearing.

While you wait for your new parts, do a few searches on the forum and a little light reading, and you will find that compromise.

stick with a stock bore cylinder mabe +3 stroker in it and have it crazy ported by one of our builders here...u only get 3 overbores on a bb kit...and not knowing how to tune could cost ya at least one...with a stock cylinder u get 8 overbores so theres lots of meat to last ya a long time

stick with a stock bore cylinder mabe +3 stroker in it and have it crazy ported by one of our builders here...u only get 3 overbores on a bb kit...and not knowing how to tune could cost ya at least one...with a stock cylinder u get 8 overbores so theres lots of meat to last ya a long time

X2 X2 X2 I feel the exact same way after seeing so many stock bores killing vito's.