Banshee Brakes on Blaster

JoshHockey95

Oct 22, 2010
Western PA
I am looking into getting hydros setup in the rear and possibly the front and before i start buying parts i need to make sure I know what I need.

I am planning on using a banshee brake in the rear and banshee or raptor in the front.

Banshee Rear I need caliper lines master cylinder and a tab for it on the frame will the 02- brake pedal and disc work or do i need those from a shee or 03+

Banshee or Raptor Front. spindles from an 03+, discs, calipers, lines, and master cylinder/brake handle

If there is anything I need that i dont have listed or anything listed i dont need that is listed let me know. Thanks

Hey Josh,

don't go with a Banshee carrier like I started with. Just too many fit issues for it to be reliable. Basically starts here in my build:
http://www.blasterforum.com/full-rebuilds-128/if-you-give-mouse-cookie-29774/#post360811

Find an '03 or newer carrier and pay whatever you have to for it. The Banshee carrier bolts right to it. The rear brake pedal is another story. It all depends on your capabilities and determination. Check out my thread to see what you might be in for. You may be better off going with AWK's or someone else' hydro conversion. Hope this helps.

Hey Josh,

don't go with a Banshee carrier like I started with. Just too many fit issues for it to be reliable. Basically starts here in my build:
http://www.blasterforum.com/full-rebuilds-128/if-you-give-mouse-cookie-29774/#post360811

Find an '03 or newer carrier and pay whatever you have to for it. The Banshee carrier bolts right to it. The rear brake pedal is another story. It all depends on your capabilities and determination. Check out my thread to see what you might be in for. You may be better off going with AWK's or someone else' hydro conversion. Hope this helps.

This looks like alot more of a pain in the ass than i was thinking it would be probably going to go the awk route or just pick up a cable brake for now.

Probably won't get to do the fronts for a while because of the money but i need to get something on the rear because i have nothing now. I will pm you about some gsxr questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi ...Im new here

I want to convert my rear brakes to the your gsxr model... can you help me out?

Last edited by a moderator:
AWK08 - For some reason I cannot message you. Odds are is because I'm new. I'm interested in one of your brake kits. How can I contact you?

AWK08 - For some reason I cannot message you. Odds are is because I'm new. I'm interested in one of your brake kits. How can I contact you?

email sent I:I

btw...you need 3 posts and a registered user for 3 days for the message system to open up for you.

I'm having trouble getting a foot pedal to work on my 02 with hydro conversion anyone have any ideas what to use or awk08 hook me up with one

post some pics of your current set-up, or PM them to me,
i may be able to help you ?

If it is any help to you, this is what I am running on the rear:

223409_10150236712480803_5651075_n.jpg

544788_10150946178920803_837951819_n.jpg

Master Cylinder mount involved welding a nut to the frame tube, always a bad thing to do to Chrome Moly. Look at Awk's M/C mount, looks real nice, much better than this. Also welded an extension to the rear of the lever and straightened the front of the lever out.

The rear caliper is a Warrior unit I got for $10 off Ebay because its mount was broken. As you can see, I am not using the floating mount because I have a floating disk (as do you). A piece of 1/4" steel flatbar is sandwiched to where the mechanical park brake bolts on and mounts to the axle bearing carrier. The mechanical park brake is still usable if you wish to hook a cable to it. Ignore the 3-holes bracket hanging off the back. That was for an earlier Ninja 250 caliper I used.

Steve

Steve I could not help but notice that one of your sprocket nut lock tabs was not fully hammered to the nut.

If any of the tabs are in place Blaaster, it is because it hit something on the trail!
I am relying on Locktite and a torque wrench rather than the tabs in this case.
I was playing with ratios, tried several sprockets, stuck with this 42(?) as it worked well.
I left the tabplate on because it is easier than washers and so I don't loose it in case I have to use it next time if the Locktite ever proves to not work.
Loktite is an alternate method, and is not an improvement.

Also chain is a bit loose, adjusters at their limit, carb at too much of an angle and the front sprocket was past its prime in this series of pictures. All my warts and pimples are showing! :) This was after a long ride a couple years ago, and the Blaster is always in a state of evolution it seems. Blaaster, it is a very good thing to point these things out for people to learn from. The tab plate is a very good device and should be relied on to save grief.

Steve

Steve, I thought that the other tabs were not in place but I was not going to draw attention to it for obvious reasons.

I am a stickler for things being just right, as I have seen so many problems come from folks trying to short cut the system.

I my long years I have witnessed countless maimings, even death from incorrect practices.

One of my mottos is "Do it right, or do not do it at all".

Steve, I thought that the other tabs were not in place but I was not going to draw attention to it for obvious reasons.

I am a stickler for things being just right, as I have seen so many problems come from folks trying to short cut the system.

I my long years I have witnessed countless maimings, even death from incorrect practices.

One of my mottos is "Do it right, or do not do it at all".

Very good points Blaaster. I have to agree.
Modifications on a safety system for no good purpose is risking disaster.

I should bring up the point about heel guards while we are at it.
I don't have any and really believe in them. I want and need a set.
I am looking to buy or build a set so don't take the lack of them on my machine the wrong way.
Besides, they might keep some of the mud off me...

251506_10150264951440803_8168824_n.jpg