Banshee Axle Problem

I have the locknut that goes up against the sprocket hub, mine is like a nut with a threaded piece inside instead of the newer clamp style posilock. I already have the banshee brake hub on, but what exactly is the locking ring that you are referring to?

ok that sounds like it with the threaded piece inside. on the brake side, there is a ring that locks into a groove that keeps the brake hub from sliding off.

Yea I have the collar and c clip on the brake side as well, it seems like I have all the parts and I just figured out at least part of why it feels like its binding. The seal on the brake side is an 88-02 seal and its tighter on the brake hub than the 03+ seal.

Blaner, is the piece inside the locknut that goes against the sprocket hub almost threaded out of the locknut itself on yours? When mine is tightened down the threaded piece inside sticks out the end of the locknut.

il get some pics...my whole housing is out with the axle still inside because im fixing a crack on my swinger, il double check those seals as i have old ones that were the same size and chat to my father about the install, it was a few weeks back so dont remember details ie which side we tapped, brake or sprocket. il get back to you!

Here is the locknut gadget. make sure you put it on the right way, i waas a bit confused but checked it up on the durablue site. this is correct.

IMG_0802.jpg

This is the c clip. you can see it down in the recess.

IMG_0804.jpg

IMG_0806.jpg

IMG_0808.jpg

IMG_0810.jpg

The reson for the binding is that that when you push the axle through the bearings and into the housing, the friction (or tight fit) causes the bearing to be sort of pushed out of line. ie, the balls are under stress and are squeezed against the bearing case, thus not allowing them to rum freely in their race. hit on the ends to help seat them and release this stress, the bearing will naturally want to seat themselves so a little knocking did the trick on mine, try on both ends, but first try the opposite end to which you inserted the axle. basically, the inner bearing ring is not perfectly in line with the outter ring. if knocking it doesnt help, put a block of wood of the floor and hold axle on end and knock it on the wood.

As for seals, mine are in millimeters so do some converting... on the sprocket side, i had my seal face machined due to wear so i use a 42mm ID by 8mm thick. stock is a 44mm. on the brake side I used a 44mm ID by 8mm. I think standard is a 10mm thickness but i found it protruded a bit from the housing, so i used a thinner one.

There is no hard and fast method, just whatever gets it to work. but this is what worked for me! I hope you come right!

i'm still failing to understand the whole scheme of "why a banshee A/M axle", why not just an extended blaster A/M axle ?????
not tryin to be a dick, but this seems like one of them brainfart mods that just isn't worth the effort
this sure seems like a huge headache, when the same thing could have been achieved with the proper axle ????????
and after all this "binding" and "beating" on these bearings, please keep us informed as to how long the bearings last,
i'm bettin not very long after all that abuse
not to mention, our solid bolted calipers, or any solid bolted caliper, is meant to be run with a floating disc ?????
one or the other has to float

i'm still failing to understand the whole scheme of "why a banshee A/M axle", why not just an extended blaster A/M axle ?????
not tryin to be a dick, but this seems like one of them brainfart mods that just isn't worth the effort
this sure seems like a huge headache, when the same thing could have been achieved with the proper axle ????????
and after all this "binding" and "beating" on these bearings, please keep us informed as to how long the bearings last,
not to mention, our solid bolted calipers, or any solid bolted caliper, is meant to be run with a floating disc ?????

Bro they are the same exact axles,down to part numbers and all.The g-force blaster/banshee axle is the same exact axle for both machines,part number and all.There is no problem getting a shee axle and it will install with no problems.The shee and blaster carrier bearings and seals are the same also.He has some other issued with this install.

heres the difference in the axles that lots of people miss they make pre 03 axle and a after 03 axle the difference is in the spacing of the grooves for the retaining c clips

awk all 03 and up hydro calipers are a floating design on both the banshee and the blaster

mm iv i remmeber right i had a banshee +2+2 axle on my 01 blaster... 51'' wide with stock hubs and douglas wheels... just used to blaster brake hub, and it workeed like a charm

you never keep anything long enuf to do a long term report on even how long a tank of gas lasts, let alone brake pad wear,
baaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahaaaaaa

and, i must have missed that this is an 03+, and that both axles are the same, then maybe this should have just been called " A/M axle troubles"
and leave the banshee part out if it, if they are the same,
thats all i was aking for is some info as to why this is being a biotch for him, so when i do my axle soon, i dont have these troubles

well being a dick you are so please, im trying to help a dude here, the point is not why we using the axle, i happened to find mine for a shop packers daily wage, but the point is he is battling to install, im trying to help so go and grumble on another post instead of giving us crap to read

Reactions: rideyamaha09
The hubs both have a section which goes through the seals and sits against the bearing. If that section is shorter than normal then it would allow the hubs to slide up against the carrier before the inside section contacts the bearings.

its impossible for the pieces u mentioned to get worn

Well I just checked it all out and got everything figured out. The binding is just due to the 88-02 seal on the brake side being really tight on the hub. I thought something might have been warn due to the threads on the axle nut sticking out so far but i see blaner's is the same. I measured the axle and it seems to be slightly off center so I'm using a spacer to get it centered and also move the threaded inside piece farther into the locknut so no threads are exposed. I can post some pics if others want to see what I'm talking about.

I got the axle for a price I couldn't pass up, and like it was said banshee and blaster assemblies are the same. The brake issue also has been taken into consideration and I've got a zx6r brake assembly on the way which will float.

Thanks for the help in troubleshooting this, esp Blaner. I'll be sending some rep your way.

I got the axle for a price I couldn't pass up, and like it was said banshee and blaster assemblies are the same.

The brake issue also has been taken into consideration and I've got a zx6r brake assembly on the way which will float.

thats the answer i was lookin for originally........
a good price and couldnt pass it up, and same axle for both bikes
well then, worth the effort and headache
glad everything worked out for ya

and my brake suggestions weren't just grumbling and being a "dick" ????
as blaner chose the right time to state,
he's lucky i am in hot water right now, or we all know, id'a took that argument to the limit, all day long.

Well I just checked it all out and got everything figured out. The binding is just due to the 88-02 seal on the brake side being really tight on the hub. I thought something might have been warn due to the threads on the axle nut sticking out so far but i see blaner's is the same. I measured the axle and it seems to be slightly off center so I'm using a spacer to get it centered and also move the threaded inside piece farther into the locknut so no threads are exposed. I can post some pics if others want to see what I'm talking about.

I got the axle for a price I couldn't pass up, and like it was said banshee and blaster assemblies are the same. The brake issue also has been taken into consideration and I've got a zx6r brake assembly on the way which will float.

Thanks for the help in troubleshooting this, esp Blaner. I'll be sending some rep your way.

the reason for it being off center is the axle u have is designed for non hydro brakes if u space it u need to be careful that the bearing still sits on the smooth area in the center of the axle and not on the splined part. i tried doing what u want to do and it moved my axle over far enought that the bearing was on the splined part so i just put the spacer between the locknut and the sprocket hub to make the threads stick out less and left the axle slightly off contered

the reason for it being off center is the axle u have is designed for non hydro brakes if u space it u need to be careful that the bearing still sits on the smooth area in the center of the axle and not on the splined part. i tried doing what u want to do and it moved my axle over far enought that the bearing was on the splined part so i just put the spacer between the locknut and the sprocket hub to make the threads stick out less and left the axle slightly off contered

I did some more measuring and I don't believe the axle is off center much if at all. Its hard to tell exactly because of the swingarm being off center itself but from what I could tell the axle is pretty close to centered. I just put the spacer between the sprocket hub and axle nut as you said to get the inner piece of the axle nut to be completely threaded inside.

mine is centered, that is a good idea about spacing the locknut to get the thread inside. i think il do that too!

If you have the old bearings from the axle, the inner ring of the bearing fits the axle perfect and works good as a spacer to move the locknut over. Worked great as a spacer on my axle.