Balancer gear spun?

DirtyDiddy

Feb 25, 2022
Hey guys. Been using this forum for a little while now on my first total rebuild from the ground up on a 01’. Just wanted to say thanks for all the help! So my issue is, I feel the inside part of my balancer gear spun while I was tightening it. Is this possible? While holding gears with a penny I tightened the nut on balancer gear trying to achieve torque and it felt like the inside of that gear spun while the teeth stayed where they were. Ultimately throwing off the timing. (Although the dots still line up) Has anyone had this happen? Doesn’t seem like a great design if that gear is made up of more than one piece. (I.e the middle of the gear is separate from the entire gear) does this make sense? Thanks for any input.

where did the penny in gears come from, thats asking to kill bearings and or damage parts, the proper tools go a long way..

copper is a softer metal it won’t mess anything up. I’m not new with engines I’m new with a blaster. Thank you tho.

If this link works, did you install #24, shaft key for the gear?
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-schematic/0
what makes you think something broke?

BTW, I’ve never had a problem doing the method you used.

The key is definitely in there. All was put together the same way it was taken apart. I feel something broke because while I was about to reach 58lbs of torque all of a sudden the nut almost felt like it became loose, like I stripped the nut (but I didn’t) will just disassemble and take a further inspection

This is the part of the gear I am asking about. Seems this inner section might be separate from the gear itself. Either pressed in place or held in place by the piece of metal riveted to the gear.
FF7EEFA5-F9EF-4315-B9B8-0280F2B8C562.jpeg

It’s been at least 10 years since I had a gear blow up. From what I recall the gear has three oval slots in the area of the rivets. Rubber bumpers are held by the rivets. This the same system used on clutch hub to absorb shocks. Hold the gear and center hub and see how much rotational slop there is. Then check in/out play plates to rivets to plate. Considering there’s no “ test procedure “ it’s how it makes you feel.
Any sliver of doubt replace it.

On mine I don’t know if the gear blew taking out the bearing and chunking the case or vice verses

Good luck