anyone use reed spacers?

I've heard that they're nothing but a waste of money unless you need your carb to be able to fit into the airbox manifold. A lot of people that have upgraded carbs and/or airbox's need more distance between the carb and the airbox manifold so they use reed spacers.

yes, i have used one..

though it was only to get a PJ34 carb to fit in the place of the stock carb. It seemed to level out the power delivery softening the hit of the engine coming on pipe.

it depends on your porting if any.

if your experimenting, you could also try a boost bottle although many people have found them to be useless (once you change your basic engine setup the bottle isnt tuned right) but for a stock engine, the bottle will fill in the low/mid a bit..

For Blasters a reed spacer should only be used to space out an a/m carb. The spacer should be used between the reeds and the intake manifold.
Boost bottles are also useless on Blasters.

thats basically what the Keihin PWK35 airstriker has

its like an extra jet that you can tune just by twisting a screw. dont know to be honest!
but if your looking for more performance, you need more mass air flow through your engine.
so you need to get a high flow filter and use a bigger jet to compensate for this, or change your exhaust system.. just two ideas! (both will require re jetting because more air: then u need more fuel)

Start at 3-4 sizes larger if you're also going to remove the air box lid, then work your way down. 2-3 sizes over if you're keeping the lid on. So since stock is 230 (assuming you have a stock carb) start with a 260-270 and do a plug chop.

forget the spacers and bottles. best get an exhaust or a better filter and a jet if you dont have money hanging about..

but lets not completely kill the idea of a boost bottle. some cars use then and some race engines as well. just not the blaster..

Boost bottles work - they add a little bit of power but need to be tuned in to where you want them.

Reed spacers add a little bit of torque also. But the best use of a reed spacer is to space out cr125 reeds and force them into the blaster intake - you have to clearance the intake for the spacer to fit.

Boost bottles work - they add a little bit of power but need to be tuned in to where you want them.

i have seen quite a few dyno charts from reputable builders that say otherwise. you may get a quick burst of power (maybe 0.5 sec.) after that all it does is create turbulance in the intake tract.

Reed spacers work along the same principals as a long intake. More air is moving, more momentum in the air, more flows in the reeds.

I'd just go for a nice long tube between the air filter and carb before a reed spacer - I do have a reed spacer on my YT175 - had to use it to fit blaster reeds into it lol.

i have seen quite a few dyno charts from reputable builders that say otherwise. you may get a quick burst of power (maybe 0.5 sec.) after that all it does is create turbulance in the intake tract.

thats because no one does steady state dyno testing.. or do they??

all they ever do is transients. its not gonna show there! the only place a bottle will work is at its fundamental frequency which you can tune to fill in a small hole in the torque curve someplace.

also, power curves are very deceiving. really, you should look at your torque curve. power=torque times rotational speed

torque=what your engine is actually producing and is a function of the air flow and volumetric efficiency of your engine. I doubt you would see the effect of a boost bottle on a power curve. maybe on a torque curve tho

any 1-D engine simulator like Ricardo Wave or GT-Power will show you what a boost bottle does. if you can, get a copy of one of these programs and work with it.

Reed spacers work along the same principals as a long intake. More air is moving, more momentum in the air, more flows in the reeds.

I'd just go for a nice long tube between the air filter and carb before a reed spacer - I do have a reed spacer on my YT175 - had to use it to fit blaster reeds into it lol.

increases in crankcase volume will lead to less intake velocity 99% of the time.