anybody painted thier frame? need tips plz

2strokesmoke

Jul 13, 2009
scotland
hi to all,
i got myself an 04 blaster non runner, needs a stator, the frame has been very shoddily painted. so ive decided im going to totaly strip and paint the frame and mod the motor while its out. anybody got tips for painting, ie should i use rattle cans, normal paint or hammerite smooth, what primer etc etc pretty much any help would be cool.

cheers:D

spray can would be fine just do a lot of prep work use 2 or 3 layers and a ton of clear coat. Powdercoat would be the best option though

jeez that was quick! because i live in the highlands thers nowhere i can find that will powder coat it for me, my only option would be to send the complete frame by courier which will be costly, so i thought i might do it myself. have u guys seen the spray on hammerite smooth red? wondered if anyone had used it? was guna use the same paint but black for the wheels and swing arm. what you think?

Me dad told me that if you heat up the metal and spray gun it, the paint will stick better. I think rattle cans will work the same way, but I'm not sure.

Me dad told me that if you heat up the metal and spray gun it, the paint will stick better. I think rattle cans will work the same way, but I'm not sure.

good prep work is what makes it stick good.
good prep work can mean the difference between a great paint job or the paint flaking off in a month.

Degreasing the frame is important as well, paint doesn't bond very good to dirt eh lol.

Prime it, Final Colour-2 coats atleast, 3 is perfect. small stuff, 2 coats is fine

thanks for the input. im thinking of using nitromors paint stripper along with wire brush on my drill to strip it back. then use wet and dry to flatten the frame, im going to coat it in red oxide primer for a base coat then 3 coats of hammerite smooth gloss red, or orange if they make it. im guna try and loan some panel heaters too and warm it sounds like it will help.

cheers guysI:I

If you are going all the way back down to the metal you will need a acid based or epoxy primer to get proper adhesion to the bear metal. Spray cans will work but if you have access to a automotive spray guns and paint this would be the best. Reason being spray paint in a can is in most cases is lacquer
lacquer is a non activated. Things like strong solvents can re wet it and make it crack and fade. Using base coat clear starts off using color not usually activated unless you use ppg DBU then clear coat which is activated makes for a long lasting finish. that will not fade or crack if applied and prepped correctly.

If you are going to spend all that time preping your frame why the hell would you use spray paint. Just buy a quart of good epoxy primer and a good 2 part acrylic polyurethane and use a cup gun and compressor.

If you are going to spend all that time preping your frame why the hell would you use spray paint. Just buy a quart of good epoxy primer and a good 2 part acrylic polyurethane and use a cup gun and compressor.

Not everyone has access to a compressor and a gun.....but just about everyone has a walmart or autozone or somethin like that that they can grab a few cans of bomb.....i have painted quite a few frames, motorcycle plastics, wheels and even foot pegs with much success using good spray paint, and i do have access to a paint booth and a sand blaster but the spray paint is cheaper and more convinient especially to a begginer who hasnt painted much! As said PREP will make the differance....take your time and it will look good!

just an update on my project.

as i said my frame was painted with some sort of house paint or something under that was the silver standard finish which was rusting off.
i used a wire buff on a drill to get the blue house paint off, then i scored the silver paint with a knife and coated it all in paint srtipper. then using wire buffs stripped all the silver paint off and now im down to the metal. HINT... wire buffing paint stripper gets everywhere and it burns like u wouldnt beleive when it gets in your eyes. WEAR GOGGLESB)!!!

so that got me down to the metal so far ive done the frame and swing arm.

next i bought some products from a range called POR 15. googlwe that its wicked stuff.

MARINE CLEAN
basically you use marine clean degreasing agent to clean the metal and prep it apply the next product.

METAL READY
once your all cleaned up, you spray the metal with metal ready, it kills the rust, etch primes the surface and coats the whole thing in a zinc coating.

HARDNOSE, epoxy 2 pack paint.
i first primed the swing arm with a high quality grey primer. i chose black hardnose you mix the paint up 4 parts paint to 1 part hardner. i brush painted this on as it says on the tin ''wont leave brushmarks'' i was sceptical about this as im crap at painting. this is why i did the swinger first. it came out not bad at all theres a few runs in it but thats cos im crap at painting, but you cant realy see them and now i know whats what when using the hardnose i think ill be ok doing the frame.

learning loads and loads with this build, juist cant wait to get building back up again.

I:I