any suggestions guys??

chrishimself

Jun 27, 2013
So I have a 93 200cc, no mods just stock. I'm pretty new to the 2strokes so any suggestions will help. My quad won't start. It has spark, its getting gas to the plug and I've tried starting it without the air filter on. So the main three things are out of the way. I've cleaned the carb and tried 2 new sparkplugs. Its cranking over and all 3 elements are there to ignite but only backfires on occasion. Now, on the carb there's an idle control and mixture control.. I've done research on properly adjusting them but yet it still won't start in any positions the two are in. Please help I've been trying for about a week now.. thanks, chris :)

Well you need to do a compression and leak test. The mixture screw should be 1.5 turns out from a LIGHTLY seated position.

If the compression and leak test check out than you need to give the carb a GOOD cleaning. Should have a 32.5 pilot jet, 230 main jet, and a 5J22 needle. Then you need to make sure you have a fat blue spark, not a little yellow one.

Last edited:
Well you need to do a compression and leak test. The mixture screw should be 1.5 turns out from a LIGHTLY seated position.

If the compression and leak test check out than you need to give the carb a GOOD cleaning. Should have a 35.5 pilot jet, 230 main jet, and a 5J22 needle. Then you need to make sure you have a fat blue spark, not a little yellow one.

35.5 pilot? stock pilot is a 32 I thought?

Inspect the reeds for damage or not seating.

Could be flooded, is the float level correct.

When kicking keep your thumb off the throttle.

Get the air filter back on pronto.

hey guys, i haven't actually had time to work on it the past few days but i didnt have anything to do a compression test so i checked the reed valves just in case because that would be the main source of having no compression (if i did a compression test and had low compression) well come to find out one of my reed petals actually broke off. so tomorrow ill be gettin new reed petals and hopefully it starts and runs! thanks guys!

hey guys, i haven't actually had time to work on it the past few days but i didnt have anything to do a compression test so i checked the reed valves just in case because that would be the main source of having no compression (if i did a compression test and had low compression) well come to find out one of my reed petals actually broke off. so tomorrow ill be gettin new reed petals and hopefully it starts and runs! thanks guys!

Theres the problem! :D I:I

Leak test and compression test before you start it again i suggest

Awk08 sells the leak testers

You can rent a compression tester from an auto store (You pay the price of it, and get your money back when you return it) Just like buying and returning lol