any one know how to test a warrior stator?

nd jat

Aug 10, 2008
mandan ND
I'm leaning towards the stator going out on a warrior cause of weak spark. not sure if blown fuse stated it or was a side affect.:(

up date pulled the stator out, dam thing has 8 wires coming out of it??? well 3 I'm assuming are the charging out put, three are to some timing for the cdi??? I think not sure, two for charge the coil?? any of that sound right. the three are gr/ bl/ yel, two are wh with gr strip and a red. yel / bl ohm 187, gr / yel ohm 187, bl / gr ohm 374, wh g /red ohm 287. not sure if any of this will help to know whats wrong. off the power wires with ignition on it ohms at about 90 do I need to look for why,seems there should be more ressitance there. just trouble shooting right now. any help would be appreciated

Hello,

The Warrior was well known for stator issues, don't know how many we've saw roll through hear with weak spark issues..

Anyway, would she fire off at all? Or is the spark absolutely too weak to fire?

Normally, when the stator first starts to go, you'll notice that you can no longer rev er' up with out a sputter and it'll sound like it wants to die out. The spark begins too fade

To prove our spark is beginning to fade, we'll simply put a timing light on er', at idle the light will flicker on and off normally, but when you give er' the juice, your light will cut out for quite sometime each time.

Take Care,

Mathew

it hasn't been running at all. it hasn't even barked out the exhaust trying to start it. it's the kids bike, he rode last so I have no idea what it was acting like. funny thing is he wants to clean the carb since then. so it could be it, like running funny the last time he rode it, but this happened the same day. he rode it earlier in the day, then went to ride it later and wouldn't start. had been an easy starter till then.

Hey, Thanks for the info!

Now, when you say "Weak Spark", we've got a bit of spark, just not even enough to get er' to go "Pop!"?

If we've got a small spark, do you know if you've got a full charge on the battery? With the Warrior, or any other newer quad with a spark this hot, the charge is critical

Now, another test with a small spark would be to put er' back together, put a timing light on er' and see if the spark is fading away

A culprit of no spark at all would most generally be our stator, however it could also be the CDI. The CDI is the least likely of the 2.

If you do not have a spark at all, I would pry purchase a used, but tested, CDI (Lets save a dollar or 2 is why I recommend used), and test the CDI. If this fixes it, well you've got a running Warrior and a happy son!

If it still doesn't get er' goin', we'll have to lean harder towards our stator leaving town.

Hope this helps,

Mathew
TracksideATV

Well one problem is there is no battery. He got it on a trade, blaster for the warrior. The guy who owned it said it didn't start with a battery, So it went bad and never replaced it. Would that make an differance? Have jumped the battery leads to a car battery to see if that made a differance in starting. But still has a weak spark. Update to what I have found on the quad. The ignition coils primary seems low .12 ohms. Also should the pick up coil in the mag show ground to the case??? It does ohm good other wise.

Hmm,
That doesn't sound good! You need to have a strong battery in em' definitely for that stator to holdup!

The Warrior was already weak on the electrics side of things, and running her without a battery could have toasted er' quicker.

Personally, I'm leaning more and more towards the stator at this point.

Do you have a manual on the Warrior? In regards to testing everything, that may be just the place to start if were not sure what the issue is yet.

A Manual is only around 28 bucks, and 2 or 3 days away, if you need one?

I remember a Warrior that rolled through here a year or so ago that was doing this exact thing, its something else to track down!

Mathew

Found a link to a form that has pdf manual on the warrior. That maybe why it blew the fuse. It had been running strong till than, but I haven't ridin it recently enough to know if it was acting weird. Kid wants to clean the carb? Think maybe it was acting weird the last day he rode it. Still curious if the pickup should show any continuity to ground thou.

Great, saved a few dollars!

I'd really like to see you get a good battery for er', correct for the Warrior instead of a car battery.

We just had a fellow bring a Harley in this afternoon after he tried to jump er' from his truck. Things got real deep and he wound up popping his rectifier after hooking er' to the truck.

Does your manual have anything on testing the pickup?

Pour a bit of gas right down the throat of the carb where the airbox connects, then spin er' over and see if she pops. This way were bypassing having to pull fuel from the float bowl, feeding er' right into the explosion in your barrel..

Mathew

ignition coil tests out. off to figure something else. still wondering about the pickup coil, is it suppose to be grounded? I notice this when testing for shorts. the blue lead grounds out.

:(Well pulled the stater to look and see if it was worth salvaging. NOPE NOTA f@#%er fried good, could smell it as soon as I opened her up. Windings fried, magnet loose which probably fried the starter to begin with >:|. Some people can't believe the stuff they don't check, not that I'm much better for not checking it myself. Would make checking spark easier. Did get it to firer twice thats it, must be in the wiring. Been unpluging and pluging connecters checking for shorts, or bad contacts.
Could something that ohms out still be bad???? ignition coil seemed off but dealer checked it on there sparking machine and got good spark WTF.
Any one know where to get good cheap CDIs?? besides ebay?