Any good ideas for a grab bar?

barnold

Jan 15, 2012
lyons kansas
I have nothing to do in shop class and was thinking about making a grab bar but I'm not for sure how I want to make it yet. Open to any suggestions!

I made a simple one out of 1" tubing. But it was only for show, and to hold my #plate. No wheelies. But make sure u drill the holes rite. They are fifferent on both sides. Mine got rouined cause of that. Mine was a simple U shape.

:D I kinda made the same mistake because of asymetrical design. luckyily caught it before it was welded real solid :eek:. Do a simple U shape, round tube with mitered corners. My next one I want to make a six pack style to carry a gas can. The idea of stuffing one behind the front bumper doesn't get it. I'd rather walk than make an ash of myself :eek: 8-|

Be creative, instead of just bending 1" pipe/bar, maybe make plates that bolt to the frame, connected by welding 1" round or square bar across the width of the plates. Add some hangers or whatever, for carrying winches, straps...Zombie Hacking axes and banjos. Trick it out, it's your project and the material and time come from the school. Post picks...oh no, I've been sucked into wanting to see pics.

:D I kinda made the same mistake because of asymetrical design. luckyily caught it before it was welded real solid :eek:. Do a simple U shape, round tube with mitered corners. My next one I want to make a six pack style to carry a gas can. The idea of stuffing one behind the front bumper doesn't get it. I'd rather walk than make an ash of myself :eek: 8-|

Bold is most likely referring to the exhaust blowing off and the 1200 degree exhaust gasses blowing directly on the plastic gas can? :eek: I don't get the forward mounted spare fuel can either...stupid engineers. 8-|

Make it pretty ... Make it stainless :)
2011-07-27233421.jpg

Wow that is pretty!

I would would just take two pieces of 1"x3/8" steel stock, maybe 10" long and weld a 1" pipe in between them. But I like that unfinished kinda look. Function over form for this guy.

Make it pretty ... Make it stainless :)
2011-07-27233421.jpg

I was thinking that too, but chances of a school having stainless is pretty rare. And welding stainless...guessing this kid is HS because he said shop...I don't think they teach kids to weld stainless in HS.

Wow that is pretty!

I would would just take two pieces of 1"x3/8" steel stock, maybe 10" long and weld a 1" pipe in between them. But I like that unfinished kinda look. Function over form for this guy.

That's what I was talking about. But ya gotta finish it, at the very least, ya gotta rust proof it.