Another YZ250 swap.

justin.naekel

Sep 7, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Well, Finally got the YamaSaki (affectionately named "Gojira") finished up and now the wife has fallen in love with it, so she has adopted it and I am now quad-less again (sort of). So I am in the process of acquiring another blaster (looking at a few older non-running ones) and plan on making a purchase in the next 3 days or so.

And I also have my 97 YZ250 motor in a box waiting for reassembly so I figure why the hell not.

Normally I am more of a Function over Form kinda guy but I have been following the other YZ250 threads on here (some amazing work guys, btw) and would like to do a full ground up resto with this swap. I have borrowed (or stolen if you will) ideas from both YZ swaps I have been looking at and incorporated some of my own so i think I have a solid design in place.

What I am thinking is this: The motor will mount to the swingarm like stock, but the other motor mounts will be floated with heavy rubber bushings (similar to those on a snowmobile engine) which will then be attached to the frame to help dampen vibes a bit. Im not too worried about vibes due to the small motor, but am concerned about fatiguing and stress on the frame so that is my drive for the rubber suspension.

Any thoughts? anyone tried this yet?

Only other problem I have here is the exhaust. I am thinking it is rigid mounted to the head and rubber mounted to the bike (On the YZ) so I think I will try for the same design.

Also, for those of you who have done the dirtbike engine swap, how was the gearing in the engine? similar to a quad? I only ask this due to the gearing issues I dealt with on Gojira but that was a street motor so its a different animal. Is the dirtbike stuff geared good for these or am I going to have to pick up some stupid sprocket combos again?

Any advise, suggestions, Ideas? Im all ears! Stay tuned!

I plan on doing MUCH more detailed pics and write ups as I move along. The YamaSaki was my first real build log so I learned a lot from that.

- Justin

definitely be following this one! now off to read your whole yamaSaki build haha

I'd be more tempted to stuff one of those 490's in there. My blasturd is a hoot with a worked motor and pipe, can't imagine a 250 (of ANY flavor) or even bigger. Even a stock IT400 would be faster and have torque from hell :eek:

I'll keep an eye on this for tips and ideas, thanks!! I:I

I'd be more tempted to stuff one of those 490's in there. My blasturd is a hoot with a worked motor and pipe, can't imagine a 250 (of ANY flavor) or even bigger. Even a stock IT400 would be faster and have torque from hell :eek:

I'll keep an eye on this for tips and ideas, thanks!! I:I

Been there're, done that. I had another 83 IT490 that I sold the motor to my buddy and we shoe horned that thing into the blaster. Its fast but also heavy and stupid to try and start. Also had such bad vibe issues that you couldn't ride it more than 30 minutes before hands were numb. He built a new handle bar riser that was rubber mounted and that helped.

The Yz is making similar power (sans the torque though) so should be a lot of fun.

- Justin

Last edited:
DAMNIT! project on pause. there were like 4 different blasters in my budget the other day and now there are none.

Gotta find a chassis! anyone know of anything in the Las Vegas / Los Angeles area for cheap?

- Justin