and then?

schmidtsandwich

Sep 19, 2011
albertville mn
i have a long list of upgrades that i want, but only about $100 that i can spend on them. so i want help on what to get next. my blaster is bored.40 over with an fmf powercore 2 scilencer and i mostly trail ride. i want more low end to mid range power and less on top. i want 2nd gear sitting on the tank front end lift power. ill upgrade as i get money, but my budget is kinda tight
my upgrade list
fmf fatty
vforce reeds
12t front sprocket
20" tires (any brand with tread would do)
timing advance????? not too sure about it
stroker kit??? can i find one for under $100?
agressive trail port from oconnor
head mod from oconnor or flotek
thats all i really have coinsidered, but any suggestions that could get me more low end would be great. if someone could put the into a list of first to last upgrades that would be awesome. prices would be much appreciated. also if you have any of the above for in my price range, pm me, i would love to work out a deal.
thanks,
-Adam

Well, an FMF fatty will help from the start, even with a stock motor. After that you can go for a mild trail port(designed for low end power). The timing advance can be done yourself, or by buying a vito's woodruff key, and will give you a little more grunt. Lastly, short tires will give you better acceleration.(18'')

ive heard nothing but complaints about blaster suspension, my first trail quad was an 86 trx 350, moving to the blaster was night and day. im fine with my suspension, i want more power

I also dont mind my suspension to bad wouldnt mind it to be wider and longer.

DONT get 18's they add alot of low end but will get hung up a bunch on trails. 20's or 22's

for the timing advance its free you just need a dremel or a drill and a flywheel puller. A puller is 15

And you only have a fmf silencer? if so i hear fmf has crazy low to mid power just no top end you im sure you can find a header for under a 85

Well, an FMF fatty will help from the start, even with a stock motor. After that you can go for a mild trail port(designed for low end power). The timing advance can be done yourself, or by buying a vito's woodruff key, and will give you a little more grunt. Lastly, short tires will give you better acceleration.(18'')

ive looked into 18, my buddy has 18's on his blaster, ive dented both my chain guard and brake rotor guard from hitting rocks, so i think id be better off with 20's and a 12 t sprocket. and is there anything to look out for with the timing advance? ive heard the bolts are a pain to loosen and tighten...

Dont advance to much. Just like +2 mm. When it starts make sure you check for abnormal noises. and jet.

Agreed ^^^

You don't want to advance too much, then it will just start detonating. Trust me, it is NOT fun.

ive looked into 18, my buddy has 18's on his blaster, ive dented both my chain guard and brake rotor guard from hitting rocks, so i think id be better off with 20's and a 12 t sprocket. and is there anything to look out for with the timing advance? ive heard the bolts are a pain to loosen and tighten...

thats me haha, and go with a +4 timing advance, pretty simple, i just havnt gotten around to it yet

I advanced 3deg and gained a significant power gain low to mid, and did not loose too much at the top. At 4deg the power in the mid was better but the revs fell of somewhat more at the top.

I use 98 octane out of the pump.

The bolts or screws prove no problem if you use an impact driver, and I recommend using a thread locking compound on re-assembly. I even use thread lock on the flywheel retaining nut as I don't want any nasty surprises.

I too fitted dual stage reeds and a spacer block. I like to think the spacer did something other than allowing me to fit a larger carby.

If I was looking for cheaper low to mid power, then my choices in order of preference.

DMC Alien pipe, (not so good at the top, but renowned for low -mid) dual stage reeds, 3-4 deg advance timing mod.

Last edited: