Advice...

Zbskater400

Aug 8, 2013
Massachusetts
My blaster is bogging and sputtering, had a good plug chop with 320 main... it revs good but if I rev it between 1/2 , 3/4 and full it will bog and sputter a bit. If I ride it the quad will be fine and rev clean in 3-6 gear until I get to a little bit past 3/4 throttle. Float height Is set to specs just not sure what else to try. No leaks on the top end I replaced the stator crank seal but whay I didn't mention is the right side crank seal Is in backwards, yes I already ordered a new one but could that of been that culprit ?

Zb did you set air/fuel screw. Not sure if it would help just trying to give some suggestions. And Larry his plug chop looked pretty good. Has pics posted under "jetting suggestions"....

As they say "And now the rest of the story" .

Something is degrading or changing. Air filter or plug is dirty.. Possibly air leak, maybe only at higher pressures from higher rpm? Hhmmmm. Quick and dirty trick would be to pull the choke when it starts to bog, that will tell if it's rich or lean.
Maybe coil or Stator is going south?

As they say "And now the rest of the story" .

Something is degrading or changing. Air filter or plug is dirty.. Possibly air leak, maybe only at higher pressures from higher rpm? Hhmmmm. Quick and dirty trick would be to pull the choke when it starts to bog, that will tell if it's rich or lean.
Maybe coil or Stator is going south?
Possibly. I have no leak but I'm gonna see if that crank seal helps when I change it and I'll try a new plug. Filter is clean and I have new reeds but I'll try that.

Sounds electrical to me . Your plug chop was good that you posted. Are you blowing any gear...transmission oil out of your exhaust ? Check your plug boot...coil...and stator

Reactions: Larry's Shee
Sounds electrical to me . Your plug chop was good that you posted. Are you blowing any gear...transmission oil out of your exhaust ? Check your plug boot...coil...and stator
Tried a new cdi I had for a spare just to see and still does it... I mentioned the crank seal was put in backwards. New oem one will he here Thursday and I will see If that fixes the problem.

Very true. But I would say he did a actual test.He has not posted about it lately so maybe it was the issue.
It's leak free like I've mentioned.... the one thing I will say I haven't done is a compression test but I will do one. Could low compression cause bogging/sputtering/hiccups ?

Great idea! Never thought of doing that. Have you caught issues before with this method?
I just put that in my bag of tricks.

Actually no. Made me think of test spec of Warrior Stator. X ohm @ 60*f. Was about zero, couldn't find/figure value.
Little I do know is resistance increases with temps. Obviously if suddenly went to zero or infinite, bad coil. Or really high or low.

It's leak free like I've mentioned.... the one thing I will say I haven't done is a compression test but I will do one. Could low compression cause bogging/sputtering/hiccups ?

Absolutely, but I doubt it would ever clear out. It sounds to me that your needle is off. Is this the stock carb? Which needle, and clip position?

Wanted to update for everyone and maybe people in the future who are having bog problems.... my bog is gone. My plug cap was bad, I had a spare ngk cap and bam starts first kick and no bog revs crispy !!! :D

Reactions: Oneshot