Advice!

cwright#26

Apr 19, 2009
Tuscumbia, AL
Before you get too caught up in your dream of making a monster that will eat a 450's lunch, step back and work on suspension. That goes for even a light motor build. Everytime I get on any quad forum there is at least twice and a lot of times 3,4,5 times as many people viewing the engine thread over the suspension thread. I know how it is, I've been the little kid in a candy store when someone mentions big bore or porting. The blaster more than other quads is severly crippled in its stock stance. When Yamaha designed this thing performance and handling were not at the top of their list. Yes, it is rather slow in its stock form motor wise it wasn't designed as a race bike, but you guys aren't maximizing all of its potential from the factory.

thanks for that enlightenment Mister, you are correct, but if you have anything new to add that the guys on this forum havent yet discovered to maximize, please post it up in suspension! this is otherwise a not very useful post

^^^ From a man that has a kick A$$ front suspension. I:I I agree that you can go faster with better suspension, in the mean time I'll go fast as I can with a few motor mods and pipe, lots cheaper. :D At least I have rear hydros.

suspension.......the first thing i do, then motor,
my current set-up is killin my buddies rappy700 and my bro in-laws kfx700 in the rough stuff and they can't figure it out, they just think my blasty is that fast
muuuuuuuuuuhahahahahahaaaaaaaaaa

Brakes are the first thing i do!! If the brakes are not going to stop a stock blaster very well then they are going to kill you on a super blaster...lol

I would have to agree with this though, Suspension is a must on a blaster before engine mods, maybe I work backwards but my motor comes last after everything else is done

maybe I work backwards but my motor comes last after everything else is done

that is not working backwards, contrary to popular belief the blaster is overpowered in stock form for the suspension and brakes it was given, upgrading those 2 will make you faster everywhere but in a straight line,
which some of us could give 2 turds about 300ft. times or if the 400ex can outrun us in 6th gear
bring it to the trails !!!!!!!

Reactions: PikledBeats
that is not working backwards, contrary to popular belief the blaster is overpowered in stock form for the suspension and brakes it was given, upgrading those 2 will make you faster everywhere but in a straight line,
which some of us could give 2 turds about 300ft. times or if the 400ex can outrun us in 6th gear
bring it to the trails !!!!!!!

Agreed, I actually believe with the arms, swing, suspension upgraded, the blaster comes into it's own as a trail machine. Most forget this is what it is made for not 1/4 mile times as you stated. Yes, drag blasters are cool and it is a light setup to build on but if building for trails, atleast the trails I ride, the motor does not need major modding as it is already lighter and easier to handle in switchbacks etc, then a heavier more powerful machine. In cornering, power-sliding or drifting while keeping the revs up will not only allow you to exit the corners faster than a larger machine but you will also not have to downshift if done right. With stock width/suspension to truly do this right you are pushing the corner so hard you can easily flip. I have done it and seen it in switchbacks.....hence the suspension first upgrade. I guess it all depends on what you are using your blaster for but I agree in trail riding too many put emphasis on motor mods when riding skills and stability/suspension are more important.

And AWK did you catch that PM

What I was saying applies to everything except a drag bike. It was meant for all of the people that just ride in general and the Mx/xc guys. You can have all the power in the world, but what good is it if you can't handle the power you have to begin with?

I had to learn this the hard way... Flipped the blaster going up hill on a hare scramble and dislocated my left shoulder. All my attention is now on getting an extended swinger and looking into widening the base some... (wheel spacers?)

I had to learn this the hard way... Flipped the blaster going up hill on a hare scramble and dislocated my left shoulder. All my attention is now on getting an extended swinger and looking into widening the base some... (wheel spacers?)

Stay Away from those things... I know designs have improved over the last few years, but they still snap fairly easy. Save the money and invest in a front end.