Advice on jet size

yz125

Mar 25, 2014
I picked up a blaster in a box. Engine was torn down, piston was in bad shape looked like the top was sandblasted away, then the skirt broke. I rebuilt it and am getting ready to install the carb and fire it up. While I was cleaning the carb I seen it had a 230 main in it which seems small for the mods it has. It has the stock air box with a KnN filter. Ldr pipe and the oil pump blocked off. If I run the standard 32:1 can someone give me a recommendation on a main jet, needle position and idle screw? Thanks

Here's the piston. I'm 1000ft above sea level

Attachments

• 20150627_150213.jpg
    20150627_150213.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 194
#280- #290 main jet, 32.5 pilot jet, needle in middle slot, should see you ok until you do the plug chop after heat cycles and break in period.

Idle screw at 1 1/2 turns out, adjust idle speed as follows!

Idle speed adjusting.

Set float level, make sure that all jets are clean and fuel flows freely from the float bowl drain when the screw is cracked open.

Start with air screw 1.5 turns out.

Set idle screw so that it has some sort of idle. With TORS it is the big screw under seat on top of unit. With no TORS is is the brass screw midway down carb body.

Warm up motor and then set idle screw for a faster idle, 2000rpm+

Adjust air screw either way to get the fastest idle.

Adjust air screw a little at a time leaving 10 secs or until the motor responds.

Re adjust idle screw for desired idle .

That's a nasty looking piston :eek: Perfect example of improper jetting for mods (filter, pipe)
Did the new piston get a new bore?
Have you done leak test before firing it up?
Did you split cases to clean out shrapnel?

Reactions: Blaaster
Blaaster thank you for the advice sir that's what I needed.

I ended up using the cases and crank from a different engine I had. It looked pretty nasty in there. When you guys say a "leak check" are you talking about a leak down test or what?

So I got a blaster rebuild it all and doing carb work now it has a 230 main jet in it but I bought a fmf pipe for it and got no tors on it how do I rejett it how can I get more power any help would be great

Arron, it is a good idea to start your own thread, to avoid confusion in the posts.

To answer the question, the FMF will call for a #260 main jet to start with plus larger depending on what other mods you may have.

Ca
can any one tell me how does this plug chop look like I think I'm geting close of being perfect but not for sure