What causes this to occur ? and what steps should I take to rebuild

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moosa

Jul 7, 2016
Hey guys,

I was riding my blaster earlier today and I heard a slight knocking sound like bad tappets on a car, the bike was moving fine though.

After a while the bike just lost all power and the noise became loud. The first thing that came to my mind was piston slapping,tried to start the bike and there wasn't any compression, thought the rings were buggered, I opened up the engine and noticed that the piece of the piston broke off, the sleeve looks fine and when I moved the piston inside the sleeve it moved up and down just fine. Now the piston is only broken so do I just change that or what else should I check for ?

And If I want to put a bigger piston how do I go about ? I'm thinking a wiseco 68 mm ? Will that work, just the piston and a bore ? First time I'm doing a engine build so please help me along.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20160707_173150.jpg
    20160707_173150.jpg
    495.8 KB · Views: 159
Any good shop can measure the bore and tell you what size it needs to be bored to so it is straight and round.
Don't even think of throwing a new piston in a worn out hole.
Only $40-$60 more to bore it.

Any good shop can measure the bore and tell you what size it needs to be bored to so it is straight and round.
Don't even think of throwing a new piston in a worn out hole.
Only $40-$60 more to bore it.
What's the biggest piston I can put without changing the crankshaft ? And will that give me more power ?And also will a high compression piston give me more power ? I don't have much money to spend so I can't go all out unfortunately

only go to the next bore that restores your cylinder to specs, with oversize piston to match.
overboring provides almost zero performance and just wastes bores.

skip the high compression piston and/or gaskets.
a better option is a modified head @ http://kenoconnorracing.com/
he can also bore that cylinder and provide a matching piston.
bunches of us on here have found it to be well worth the cost of shipping to have it done to perfection :)

The other pieces got crushed up on the top of the piston...I only found one piece but the rest was crushed up
Look at the first pic I posted of the piston...you can see the pieces binded together on the piston itself..

Attachments

• 20160707_173220.jpg
    20160707_173220.jpg
    460.1 KB · Views: 181
I was thinking about stroking it to 240 but that's gonna hurt my wallet...I'm thinking about putting a superbike engine in, similar money but much more power ...anyone ever done that before ? If so do you have any tips for me ?

Prepare to pull the motor for a complete tear down. Your gonna need a new crank, case seals, top end piston kit along with a bore and hone.

Good luck

Reactions: OConnor Racing
Quick question...from looking at the piston in the pic...is it the normal Yamaha piston or no ?

This bike had go ! Ate a Yamaha yfz450r with it while having a passenger sitting with me...or do all blasters do that ? I have no idea what's done to the bike even though I've had it for over 8 years...as soon as I open the throttle full the front wheels lift off

Come on, come on.... bullshit.
I don't believe that for a second.
Was the 450 started and running, or sitting still with the kill switch turned off?
Believe what you wanna...hearing is decieving,seeing is believing...450's aren't even that fast so I don't get why its unbelievable