89 yamaha blaster

1st blaster

Aug 14, 2011
Hi group da names thomas. I just picked up this 89 blaster for $200 and am proud of it. It runs but barely it need a top end rebuild i think and will buy a rebuild kit online tonight so if you know of any good deals let me know. heres a pic for ya

daquad.jpg

Hey Man, Welcome!! And theres no pic! Get that beauty up right away, and I've seen rebuild kits go for like $400 online and come with EVERYTHING you need to get her done. But while you're at it why dont you bore her out and Get a good name brand kit like Wiseco etc.

Nevermind I got the picture now, my computer didn't load it! And Yes A Big Bore kit would probably be best while you're already gutting the engine to rebuild the top end.

Last edited:
thats a great deal man. And only get forged pistons there a lil more but when the topend goes they wont shatter like cast will. Also only bore if you need to clean up cylinder walls it doesnt add any power unless you get a big bore kit. 240

cool. looks likes somethings bent the frame or swinger or something. idk for sure just looks that way. ya get forged piston to but i would get a big bore kit dude. i rode a big bore 240 kit blaster and i loved it . way better than my stock motor!!

I rode a 240 last time at the dunes , it was a night and day difference from my 200 Blaster . Powerband came on like a pissed off ape . You won't regret the extra work it takes to do the 240 dude , you will love it!!! welcome to the Family .

cool. looks likes somethings bent the frame or swinger or something. idk for sure just looks that way. ya get forged piston to but i would get a big bore kit dude. i rode a big bore 240 kit blaster and i loved it . way better than my stock motor!!

Good eye man! I didnt notice that till I got home and its def tweeked a bit but nothing major.

I did buy this -

Yamaha Blaster Wiseco STD Piston Gaskets Bearing Kit - eBay (item 180622794957 end time Sep-05-11 12:57:19 PDT)

And its on its way to my house!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back breaks on the 2000-2002 will bo bad after heavy abuseive use. But I dont think you'll have to worry about that.Ball bearing inside the kick start will go bad after a little after 5 years. Exhaust header springs will go every 2-4 years or so depending what you ride through. Replace fuel hoses when they become rubbery and cracked like an old used up rubberband does in the hot sun for a while. But mostly just take care of your bike and she'll take care of you back in full. Good luck dudeI:I

Great deal for 200 bucks man. Look at the top end rebuild kit on rjatv.com

But before you order it take the motor apart to see if it needs a bore and hone and look at what size piston you will need. If you can't measure it yourself, take it to a machine shop and they'd be glad to measure it for you. You can use a digital caliper but it's not as accurate.

Ya I just bought a stock size top end kit with out taking the head off but am thinking it may have a big bore kit now but we will see when I take it off.

3 Beers later and I have my topend rebuilt. Started on second kick. It was 9:45pm so I only let it run for a sec a few times but tomorrow its on. I will try to load the pics of the piston it was EFFED up bad. Luckily only slight scoring on the head and my frien came over and honed it for me and made it look brand new.

tomorrow i am picking up Yamaha Raptor 660 FULLBORE Plastics in perfect shape for $150. Also i wanna buy the raptor 660 hubs and tires. Will the hubs fit the blaster????

Does anyone know what the little rubber clamp thing is called that attaches the pipe to the silencer? Anyone know where I can buy one? Mines shot