89 blaster over reving, and leaking! anyone help?

Mrbrocco

Aug 18, 2007
yea so i got this p.o.s. blaster from some d-bag in town for little over $500, anyway after abou 3 months of work i finally have it starting ( the stator went bad so i pulled one from my freinds broken blaster for about $50 which was a fantastic deal cuz thos things are like 100 plus anyway now when i fire it up and let it idle for 10 min then ride it.. i notice it leaks on the side with the kick starter, or atleast thats where it pools up. Then after i turn it off and kick start it again it starts over revving while im iidling in neutral or with the clutch held in. but not when i shift it down to low gear or up to 2nd( and actually drive). the previous owner did let the throttle cable LAY ON the exhaust so it is exposed in a spot and I silicone sprayed it once and that fixed it but that didnt work this time cuz i can feel in the throttle there is no sticking. Anyone know what to do? I do have pictures to come!

Last edited:
Clean it, then i would check to make sure all the bolts are tight..then you may find where the oil is comming from. Do you have an oil blockoff kit??

My blaster did the same thing when we got it...it had an air leak and was leaking transmission fluid...we pulled the screws and put teflon tape on them and put them back in...no problems now!

My blaster did the same thing when we got it...it had an air leak and was leaking transmission fluid...we pulled the screws and put teflon tape on them and put them back in...no problems now!

how did you fix the air leak ?im kinda having the same prob this thing revvs for no reason

Have you cleaned your carb and jets? if not clean them out good and for the leaking part when last did you replace the oil seals on the blaster?check your gaskets

clean that crab out throughly and try it.. if that doesn't help... do a leak down test...

i have links to articles i've written

how to build a leakdown tester (costs about $20)

how to use a leak down tester..

i'll gladly post them if you;d like..