88 yamaha blaster, will only start on spray

dirtdigger86

May 19, 2015
as the title says 88 yamaha blaster, will only start on spray, newer top end, stock carb tors elimated. Its weird it will sit and idle all day and run great. But to start it with even choke on it doesn't want to go. Put little gas on the plug fires up and starts up when warm? let sit for hour, or cold start, nothing. cleaned the carb but would float height have anything to do with? why is it when i kick it, doesn't draw fuel to the cylinder right away?. Plug is dry and it was golden brown/clean when i pulled it.

my guess is the pilot jet is clogged...should be able to hold it up to a light and see through it.
did you use carb cleaner and soak pilot jet in a container?

reeds can cause hard starting to:)

First thing to do is to loose the spray can, not a good idea with a 2 stroke!

Float level and poor reeds will make for hard starting.

A golden brown dry plug says to me you are running lean.

Thanks for the replies, ive never use starter fluid, just gas in a water bottle. Starter fluid puts holes in pistons which a old fella once told me. If I sit And kick the bike 12 times it will fire up. Pilot jet is clean. 32.5 pilot and 230 stock main. Bikes all stock. I'll check the reeds tomorrow and adjust the float. If anything the bikes running rich 32:1. Just hard starter the reeds should fit nice and flat? Just seem like it's hard to get gas to the cylinder before it starts

Last edited:
Haven't got a compression tester yet, hopefully tomorrow clean the carb soaked it for couple hours blew it out compressed air. Pulled the choke fired on 4 kick. The float looked bent, tried bending it back out straight set it a 21mm. Tomorrow after work I'll pull the carb again and take the bowl off to see how much gas is in there. If it don't got a lot maybe that could be a big problem we'l kicking it compression tomorrow night

Did a compression test this is what came up? The motor is all stock.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 376
Last edited:
I've cleaned the carb, let it soak and blew it out with air. But I think I've got to get this float down pat. Tomorrow I'll take the carb off. And take the bowl off with gas in it. Just to see how much gas is in bowl.

Got it running great, got carb setup replaced gasket on reedcage. Was small leak there. fires 2nd kick. I ordered kickstart spring cause the one I had was wore out and previous owner tried bending it little more. And would just pop if I reinstalled it. Problem is where can I get a spring. Here in Canada says yamaha has them on back order? 6 week way to long and suggestions? Part number?