54 or 58?

tfaith08

Feb 24, 2014
SW Alabama
I'm pondering whether I should go with a 4mil build on my Banshee or not.

Current mods:
T5s
Pro Flow adapter w/o airbox
Timing plate
Chariot head w/21cc domes

Minimum mods:
Dune port and custom domes (pump gas) from Redline Racing
Clutch
Replace chain and sprockets
Tires (unk at this point)

Since I need to have my crank welded for the power, I'm thinking about going to a 4mil. In my mind, there's no reason to split the cases, have the crank welded, install new gaskets and seals, and install everything back with old crank bearings. By the time I rebuild the crank and have it welded, I'll be pretty close to what it'll costs to just get a new welded and trued 4mil crank.

The porting, domes, and crank will only increase the cost by $200-$300 over everything as is since I'll already have to tear into the bottom end.

I need more power across the board and I know that a trail port won't give me the power up top that I need. A dune port on stock stroke will not give me the increase in low end power that I need, but it will wake the top end up quite a bit. With the 4mil, I can go with a dune port and still have more power down low than stock while having even more power than stock stroke on top end.

So my question is this: do any of you have a reason that I shouldn't do this? Any thoughts?

My next question concerns tires.

I need some tires that grab very well in a lot of conditions. I'd like to have some 4ply radials. Any suggestions here?