49cc mini chopper and 110cc pitbike/dirtbike...

Feb 28, 2010
Kailua-Kona, HI
so I got these of CL a month ago. they were in pretty bad shape. I wanted the pitbike and the guy said I'd have to take the chopper away too lol. so I was like eh, whatever. then decided to strip it and fix it up a little since I got it running that day. didn't get the pitbike running til the next day. made them both look more presentable and rode them around the block and to my buddies house 8 streets away. that's pretty much all I did riding wise on them lol. few test runs here and there up/down our short street while trying to setup their carbs better warmed um up and stuff to set the idles and just basic playing around.. got the pair for $120 and really I just needed to clean the jets and the pitbike needed more work to actually ride but they were running with just carb work. I had to get a back tire and tube and a rear shock, front disc was frozen. but after a little elbow grease I basically got them ridable :D I think I got them up to like $240 after all the paint and little things here and there, I added a forged aluminum extended shifter on the pitbike that was $40 lol... here's a before/after shots of the chopper, didn't really take before pix of the pitbike but you can see it behind the chopper it was blue in front and black in back. I had alot of black paint laying around so I fixed that issue lol

19141_1302280549993_1019837960_30936933_2102858_n.jpg

that's my 8yr old, he's not so disciplined so I haven't let him ride either one yet... upon explaining to a teenage gurl how to ride it he told her, you kick this to start it (kickstart), push this to go (shifter), then go crazy... after that I decided not to put him on them without getting him a full gear setup lol. he has a HJC helmet now but I want to get him pants, a jersey, elbow/knees, and a roost gaurd maybe first lol...

another shot, basically looked like it got pulled out of some bushes somewhere... but like I said, I got it started/running within like an hour. more than I could say for the pitbike which was a disappointment at the time lol

19141_1302281470016_1019837960_30936935_6119099_n.jpg

started stripping...

19141_1302282270036_1019837960_30936937_5879532_n.jpg

tore down to frame which I sanded/stripped down and bed lined..

DSC04487.jpg

bedlined a bunch of the parts too, some I just primed then painted, just to give it some different textures/shades of black...

started putting it back together...

DSC04491.jpg

Last edited:
grill painted the muffler lol, I did sand it 1st too. not just painted over rust...

19141_1306417453413_1019837960_30947011_7539304_n.jpg

redid the seat, I know, pretty sloppy but these were my 1st bikes and I've never done any vinyl work and this wasn't heat stretch as the place I got it didn't have any nor know where I could get some besides the net and I wanted it asap as I was just about done with everything else and wanted to ride it lol...

DSC04493.jpg

basically the staples are sloppy I got the vinyl stretched fine. I tried gluing it at 1st with contact cement and heating it with my heat gun neither helped, so while in the time frame of the cement to still work, I stretched it best I could and stapled it and it ended up working lol

DSC04494.jpg

pretty much done in these pix, may add a few little things here and there for looks, I'm thinking of doing red/black for the wheels but I don't really want to pull the tires off so I've been putting it off... was thinking maybe red lips and black the rest or something...

DSC04494.jpg

DSC04497.jpg

DSC04498.jpg

here's the pitbike, I blacked out the handle bar and put black rims on it that I got free with tires. and blacked out the exhaust (this was all the last 2 days so after these pix were taken).

18141_1312428483685_1019837960_30962976_6255409_n.jpg

19441_1312429163702_1019837960_30962977_4648246_n.jpg

oh and the forged extended shifter.. it's a name brand piece sounded like mongoose or something like that. forget, still got the wrapper in the rubbish somewhere but it has a brand logo on it that I think the initials were MB or something... was for a yz125 or something iirc... I'll get new pix. I gotta put the exhaust heat shield and sproket protector on, just blacked those out this morning... will get a couple pix later possibly of that. thinking about porting them out a little. I haven't done porting in years. I did a little porting/polishing for some 2 stroke souped up mopeds years ago so I don't mind doing more just for the heck of it. I bored out the sloppy welds the stock mufflers had where it meets the head. was clogged up by like almost 1/4" all around and it's OUTTER diameter is less than 3/4" so inner is worse subtract 1/4" all the way around and it was probably cutting off like 30% flow lol. anyway, need gaskets before I pull the heads off. thinking about getting big bore kits for them the stock pos may not even be worth porting. but I could clean off the pistons while I'm there I suppose and check the conditions of the bore/piston and rings I suppose... not that I want to dump alot of money into them.

I just broke the throttle cable on the pitbike so I'm gonna replace the throttle with a 1/4 turn while I'm changing the cable anyway LOL.. may as well give it more fun while I'm working on it... yeah, looking at getting blaster off of CL and was doing research for parts before I consider it thus stumbled across this forum :) looks like I'll be trying to get one even harder after seeing all the posts and deciding I like the community here :D can't wait to get it. I posted it in the newb thread section already it's a $400 one on CL said it's not safe to ride atm, but from when he last had it posted it needed a tune up (probably carb cleaning/setup of jets and such) and he broke the clutch lever it sounded like. I'll be hella stoked I've only ridden auto clutch quads so this is an adventure for me. can't wait to get it and have it ridable and then soup it up shortly there after MWAHAHAAAA

I'm gonna order a smaller rear sprocket and larger front to raise top speed a little on the pitbike. and probably just a larger front on the chopper. just to not have to take links off to get the chain tighter and gain a little more top end as well :D

oh and, probably CDI's, maybe hotter coils not sure, and a few little cheap anodized things like fuel filter and such :D china bikes are cheaper to work on than civics (never touched a civic, I damm near hate the things just making a comparison for price sake lol, if u see civic parts on ebay you'll know what I mean headers on my truck from thorley were almost a grand ebay has tons of 4 banger header for civics for not much more than dirt and water) I MAY do more stuff to them if I keep them. really I enjoy the chopper and would like to get a better pitbike but no one will buy them I don't think so I'm just about better off keeping them both for my fam to learn to ride bikes with auto clutches to start moving up the chain :D would ideally like to get rid of them both in favor of real bikes and found a few on CL I've been hoping to go check out. all aren't running so I want to check compression and spark then go from there :D found the one blaster, an LT80 (better starter bike for my son, plus I'm only a buck 30 soaking wet so I can ride it too) and an older yamaha enduro 100... really want the blaster for myself but the enduro I can ride on the street is a big plus if I make it legal.. I want to for sure get the blaster, just trying to sell the chopper 1st or do a partial trade... only because the chopper runs fine. if the pitbike was perfect I'd get rid of it too. plus IF I get rid of the chopper I can still ride with my kid weather I get the blaster or the LT80 if I keep the pitbike. it's not like I can ride the chopper with my kid offroading anyway lol. plus the wife would ride a quad but wouldn't set foot on either of the mini's lol.

oh, I put a 2" shorter shock on the pitbike too, got it free with the wheels/tires from a guy locally as well as a glasspack I'm working on rigging up for the pitbike later... can't wait to make it all work. it'll sound better as well as look a little better is what I'm hoping lol, the shock dropped the bike shorter so now my kid can start it on his own and reach the ground lol. once I fix the cable I just broke I'll probably let him ride it I should have him gear too by then. because it was for a different swingarm it seems stiff.. unless it's just for a heavier rider, the last shock was fully blown anyway so it's still an upgrade from that either way lol

well, I decided since it was sunny, to let everyone get a shot at riding it. everyone did except my wife. the gurls (little sister 18y/o and her friend 17y/o stayed in 1st as they were scared) sisters b/f 21y/o, rode mopeds before so I explained the steering on a chopper is different and showed him how to shift and explained downshifting to slow down and he got it pretty good, 1st run he was getting into second or 3rd last run I think he got it up to 4th and he said it can actually go when let loose lol.

the kid, well, if it was the pitbike he would've laid it down, but because it's a chopper with low footpegs the pegs stopped it from laying down. he kept it in 1st as he doesn't listen well. ran it a little in straight lines pretty much and everyone but me and the b/f walk it to turn it around lol. but everyone said it was fun and so far they seem to all not want me to get rid of it. but once they actually ride it they'll understand that it'd be more fun in a crew offroading. so I'm gonna get them more interested slowly :D at least everyone got on it and rode... was really funny watching the kid do it. he was so intent on revving it that in the begining he almost ate crap lol. I put everyone on the front lawn for their start and had them walk it with one foot on the pegs and told them basically that's what they'll do while they get it up to momentum speed. it was pretty awesome... hoping to flip the chopper for like $275. I ALMOST want to keep it for that price but I can't keep bringing home more bikes so I need to get rid of it and it'll help fund the blaster or LT80 whichever I get 1st. think the kid would be better served with the LT80 as no shifting and he will have to roll it rather than fall over to get hurt.. we'll see, I think I can fix either one if it's just carb stuff :)

I kinda wanna get a sand blaster and powder coating setup but I don't want to waste that kind of money on these I don't think. but at the same time practice will get me better so better off starting on pos bike parts then some expensive stuff...

I'll try to get current pix of the pitbike taken and maybe a vid of the kid "riding" the chopper lol. remember he only goes in straight lines in 1st gear so don't expect much lol

hm... should've got closer. Moose racing I think is the name of the shifter. that's the fuel lines I got too, got some clear as I want to see if there's gas in the line for easier trouble shooting.. will use it with all the bikes when I get more. the chopper I already put clear fuel line on but I may upgrade to the moose 1/4" inner diameter line as it's slightly larger... here's some shots, just realized they're too small tho :(

26159_1324263819561_1019837960_30993120_5556725_n.jpg

lower angle, I need to do the bottom of the shocks after looking at this pic lol...

26159_1324263899563_1019837960_30993121_5453285_n.jpg

close up of the shifter since it's the only real mod it has from me besides paint...

26159_1324263939564_1019837960_30993122_349011_n.jpg

I have a uni filter on the chopper but couldn't make the sticker stick to it as I think it was dirty or something so just stuck it on the pitbike instead... I know it's a ginx but oh well. the pitbike has a front facing mani as the starter is on top so I can't use a larger filter, I need like a 90* one or something really short like the stock one. but it's fine for now.. doesn't really bother me. needs other things more like a throttle cable for one so the carb doesn't stick at WOT LOL anyway, I took pix of the muffler heat shield and sprocket cover blacked out but figure no point it showing them unless their on the bike lol. I get bored of looking at other peeps pix of stuff not installed. I see some guys modeling with their 22" chrome rims on myspace and it makes me laugh pretty good. ported jugs are different so I'm not talking about anyones stuff on here, that kinda stuff needs to be off to see inside ;) just covers on the ground freshly painted are kinda weak....

thanks guys :D everyone had fun riding them today.. I just ordered a 1/4 turn throttle, chromoly large footpegs and a larger front sprocket for more top end oh and new blue grips... thinking on ordering a blue fuel filter and blue race cdi to just to add to my black/blue theme :D all the blue is just accent pieces. hoping it turns out good lol. we'll see. I like the shifter. that was all for the pitbike. I may do another order and pick up a few goodies for the chopper too, we'll see...

got some stuff from Tboltusa.com (online pitbike mod superstore) came in today, got the color wrong on my grips, they're supposed to be blue.. but it still looks ok I guess. got a 1/4 turn throttle with blue center ring, and chromoly oversized footpegs (black is the only color available) and I put the black motor casings back on :) I'll be ordering blue grips and some other things not sure what but something lol

DSC04516.jpg

DSC04517.jpg

DSC04518.jpg

getting a few other stuff from a generic china parts seller, a blue fuel filter, blue skid plate and blue oil dipstick probably get that next week. give it a little time. no big rush, oh and a performance CDI. I also got 13 tooth front sprocket but I'm not gonna put it on right now as I'm lazy lol. just got home from work. put the new toys on. gave it a couple revs make sure the throttle doesn't stick or anything and called it good lol maybe I'll put it on today or tomorrow... not sure. just gotta loosen the back tire enough to move it forward to pull the chain off then slip the new sprocket ;) should be cake. but just I'm overly lazy but did well considering I've been home an hour and I put the casings back on, the exhaust heat shield and all the new mods :D

lol, good idea, I've been thinking about getting a new one, just couldn't decide if it was worth the money to get an aftermarket stronger one or just to run another china one... I don't know how long I'll keep it, I may just keep it around long enough for someone to want it that has cash lol. or I could dump money into it and make it worth keeping... still debating. would like to sell but not sure if anyone would buy it for enough to warrant selling. I think I could make it a good learning bike for people who've never ridden to start off and learn to ride slowly. I COULD build it into something worth while but really at that extent I'd be better off building a bike from scratch LOL. I guess the benefit with doing it this way is I could do it slowly and I'd have a running bike the entire time... I guess maybe I should just do it that way..

lol, good idea, I've been thinking about getting a new one, just couldn't decide if it was worth the money to get an aftermarket stronger one or just to run another china one... I don't know how long I'll keep it, I may just keep it around long enough for someone to want it that has cash lol. or I could dump money into it and make it worth keeping... still debating. would like to sell but not sure if anyone would buy it for enough to warrant selling. I think I could make it a good learning bike for people who've never ridden to start off and learn to ride slowly. I COULD build it into something worth while but really at that extent I'd be better off building a bike from scratch LOL. I guess the benefit with doing it this way is I could do it slowly and I'd have a running bike the entire time... I guess maybe I should just do it that way..

just take a wire wheel to it to take off the rust

Wow the chopper came out awesome! Check out planetminis.com for info on pitbikes. To me the pitbike looks choppered out with the short back end.