400ex rear shock

search 400ex shock and you should find a couple of threads with a bunch of pictures, if not pm me i have some pictures of the install.
its basically all you have to do is drill out the bottom mount and a little dickering with the top mount

I put the 400ex rear on my blasty and it wasn't worth it at all. I've adjusted it every way that I can. No improvement.

Same here its a very stiff shock.Im at around 190ish and can tell you in the trails its a little ruff.But for jumping it would be alot more ideal .Going to try the stock one again and see how i like it in the trails and get back with you :)

2005 model shock

Last edited:
You must be the only 2 that got some crappy shocks. Maybe it depends on the year, although I don't believe so. I absolutely love mine so no super expensive shocks for me. Mine was off a 2001 I believe and I can adjust it to be softer then stock or stiffer than a board. Before the swinger it was good, and after the +4 had to stiffen it a little more.. I weigh 170.

Those are some good points guys.

1. Is adjusting it as simple as adjusting the top screw and bottom screw and trying them at different settings?

2. Should the actual spring adjustment be all the way loose or more compressed? (I weigh 200)

3. Maybe mine is out of gas? How could I tell?

I luv this site! I:I

400EX, KFX/LTZ/DVX400 Rear shocks ALL come factory tuned for a 160lb. Rider. The rings on the shock are pre-load adjustment. The upper and lower screws are re-bound and dampening (I dont remember which is which). Google setting up a 400ex rear shock and you should get all the info you ever wanted to know about tuning a shock.

As far as being out of gas. Take it off and take it to the nearest shop that does suspension work. They should be able to check it and re-fill it if necessary.

Well tried the stock shock again and i will tell you with the stock swinger that it is stiff.I have played with the adjustments and still about the same .I think if you have a +3 or +4 swinger that might make it a little softer.Im 190 and can tell you without a doubt the stock shock works alot better in the rough bumps in the trails.If i was doing alot of jumping i would have kept the 400ex shock on there because the stock one is so soft. Another thing i noticed is it a little taller in the rear with the 400ex shock.I find that the stock shock works alot better out of the corners because the rear is a little lower with the stock one and it handled the small bumps better.One thing i do have works front shocks on also.Kind off makes me want to get a works rear shock.

Yeah it is stiff. I have one and had to run the rings all the way out to soften it up. I'm about 215.

Alot of these rear shocks people are putting on their blasty's are set up for linkage and no one takes that into consideration whenever installing these shocks on their quad. Later on down the road I plan on buying a works rear shock thats actually made for the angle the blaster uses.

Those are some good points guys.

1. Is adjusting it as simple as adjusting the top screw and bottom screw and trying them at different settings?

2. Should the actual spring adjustment be all the way loose or more compressed? (I weigh 200)

3. Maybe mine is out of gas? How could I tell?

I luv this site! I:I

turn the spring all the way loose
and turn both screws all the way to there softest position...

thats how mine is and it's perfect....

Yeah it is stiff. I have one and had to run the rings all the way out to soften it up. I'm about 215.

Alot of these rear shocks people are putting on their blasty's are set up for linkage and no one takes that into consideration whenever installing these shocks on their quad. Later on down the road I plan on buying a works rear shock thats actually made for the angle the blaster uses.

you wrote,Alot of these rear shocks people are putting on their blasty's are set up for linkage and no one takes that into consideration.Exactly ;)