4 or 6 ply?

6 ply front and rear here, and i've even busted some of them, just too rocky here for anything less.
terrain determines plys, rocks require 6 ply, for non rocky dirt trails or groomed mx tracks you could get away with 4 ply, i'd say 2 ply is for sand or drag use only.
just my .02 cents

Reactions: motoman159
6 ply front and rear here, and i've even busted some of them, just too rocky here for anything less.
terrain determines plys, rocks require 6 ply, for non rocky dirt trails or groomed mx tracks you could get away with 4 ply, i'd say 2 ply is for sand or drag use only.
just my .02 cents
Where I ride there's some rocks, a lot of roots. Sand, small rocks, grass and lots of cow patties. Do you think 6 ply will slow the bike down with the added weight?

If you have roots and rocks you will benefit with 6 ply.

The extra weight should not slow you down, just not let you get up to speed as soon.

Speed and heavy unsprung weight do affect the steering some owing to gyroscopic forces.

Speed may be better on inclines owing to greater rotational mass.

Attitude correction in flight may need to be relearned with the heavier rear rotational mass!

No problems with the cow turds though, they should splatter just the same.

Ive had both and prefer the 6 ply since you are able to run a wider range of air pressures. Ive even rode back on a flat 6 ply tire for 5 miles and did not hurt the rim.