35mm airstriker

scotj77

Feb 11, 2010
Orlando, fl
I was having a high idle problem when my blaster is cold so i decided to pull my carb apart and clean it today see if i could find anything wrong. And get the busco off of it. I also lubed the cable and went through the thumb throttle too just for chits and giggles. when i put it back together i tested to make sure the cable was adjusted properly to get the slide out of the throat of the carb but even though the cable was pulling the slide as far as it would go it still hangs in the throat about 1/16 of an inch. Is this normal? most carbs i have dealt with the slide leaves the throat completely at wot

so, you're really only running a 33mm carb ? LOL
try the adjuster on top of the carb ???

I had the thumb throttle cover off so i could see if the cable was pulling the slide as far as it would go and I tried to push it up further with my finger. wouldn't budge. maybe i'll get a second cap gasket to help space it up. it's not far at all. just bugged me

I tried to push it up further with my finger. wouldn't budge. maybe i'll get a second cap gasket to help space it up. it's not far at all. just bugged me

thats odd ???
it would bug me too, now you have me ready to pull my 34pj and have a peek :(

Alright, I had this issue getting my PJ38 to work completely at WOT. Pull the carb top back off and slide the cable completely into the groove. Once the cable is set completely in the groove, rotate the small plastic piece until the little nib is into the slot. Then rotate the spring around until it sets down into the plastic piece. I had them out of sync once and it would hang before it would open completely.

Alright, I had this issue getting my PJ38 to work completely at WOT. Pull the carb top back off and slide the cable completely into the groove. Once the cable is set completely in the groove, rotate the small plastic piece until the little nib is into the slot. Then rotate the spring around until it sets down into the plastic piece. I had them out of sync once and it would hang before it would open completely.

I paid pretty close attention when i put that together, and lined everything up... but i'll check it again

Going to get check my 35mm a/s right now so you say that you cant even pull the slide up manually ?

I just checked mine manually had no problem with the slide going all the way up so it's not visible- pic belowV

2m49d2s.jpg

I had this problem when I mounted the KTM PWK38 in my Blaster, only opened 3/4 throttle.
I don't remember the exact details but I had to work on the thumb throttle box and set the freeplay/slack up exactly or it doesn't go all the way to the top.

Going to get check my 35mm a/s right now so you say that you cant even pull the slide up manually ?

I just checked mine manually had no problem with the slide going all the way up so it's not visible- pic belowV

2m49d2s.jpg

Slick I can see the slide just a bit in the throat of the carb. exactly where mine stops

2m49d2s.jpg

I had this problem when I mounted the KTM PWK38 in my Blaster, only opened 3/4 throttle.
I don't remember the exact details but I had to work on the thumb throttle box and set the freeplay/slack up exactly or it doesn't go all the way to the top.

I did that already best. I had the thumb throttle open while adjusting it to make sure the thumb throttle wasn't bottoming out before the slide went all the way up

Hey bro maybe just my finger but it will go all the way up out of site unless you look from the bottom!

Ok i got it figured out with your guys help. I think something wasn't sitting just right on top the slide and that's why i couldnt' get it right when i tried to adjust the cable the first time. It must have righted it's self when i took the cap off the yesterday to inspect it because it looked perfect when looked at it. took everything apart and inspected it on the slide and it all looked in perfect shape. I had just replaced the cable/needleretainer bolt(whatever that thing is called lol) bc it had a striped head so i thought that could have been it too, but it was good.

put it all back together and i could push the slide out of the carb with my finger. then i discovered the problem that i orgionally was after. High irregular idle when it was cold. my cable is a bit kinked at the thumb throttle side so it's a little springy. and i was adjusted way too high up. basically ideling on the cable. The window of adjustment between all way closed and all the way open with the slide is apparently a pretty small window with these carbs. But I have it adjusted now where it leaves the throat and closes all the way, before hitting bottom, with the idle screw all the way out. now that springy cable cant come into play.

Ok i got it figured out with your guys help. I think something wasn't sitting just right on top the slide and that's why i couldnt' get it right when i tried to adjust the cable the first time. It must have righted it's self when i took the cap off the yesterday to inspect it because it looked perfect when looked at it. took everything apart and inspected it on the slide and it all looked in perfect shape. I had just replaced the cable/needleretainer bolt(whatever that thing is called lol) bc it had a striped head so i thought that could have been it too, but it was good.

put it all back together and i could push the slide out of the carb with my finger. then i discovered the problem that i orgionally was after. High irregular idle when it was cold. my cable is a bit kinked at the thumb throttle side so it's a little springy. and i was adjusted way too high up. basically ideling on the cable. The window of adjustment between all way closed and all the way open with the slide is apparently a pretty small window with these carbs. But I have it adjusted now where it leaves the throat and closes all the way, before hitting bottom, with the idle screw all the way out. now that springy cable cant come into play.

So you aren't using the idle screw at all and it's idleing ok? :-/

So was the spring not turned correctly into the cable retainer (little white plastic piece)?

I had that happen on the PJ38. Drove me crazy for a while until I figured it out. One time it would open completely, the next it wouldn't!

So you aren't using the idle screw at all and it's idleing ok? :-/

no no no. I am using the idle screw. just now i made sure that my bent up throttle cable isn't causing the slide to hover up a little too high. which was what was causing it to rev durring idle for no apparent reason.

So was the spring not turned correctly into the cable retainer (little white plastic piece)?

I had that happen on the PJ38. Drove me crazy for a while until I figured it out. One time it would open completely, the next it wouldn't!

I was pretty sure it was right when i put it together. the only thing i can guess is it wasn't and fell into place when i removed it to inspect it.... who knows