22x11x8 ITP Mudlites too big?

Sonia_69

Jun 6, 2011
Iowa
So I bought a set of brand new 18x10x8 Maxxis Razr MX a few weeks ago ( havent even mounted them yet) for my blaster but not so sure I should go with that small of rear tires with the kind of riding we do, trails, mud, dirt, etc. My boyfriend has the same size tire justvITP holeshot and seems to get stuck in the mudholes pretty easy, and I also dont really like the way his feel while riding his blaster, though for a very short period that I did, over my plain stock 21's. So I am wondering if the set of 22x11x8 ITP Mudlites I am looking at buying are going to be too big? I really dont want them rubbing on my plastic mesh guards behind my nerf and heel guards!!!!! I think that style will work really well where we ride and Im pretty sure I wanna stay with the bigger tires!! Suggestions?? Also will I have to go bigger with my fronts if I go with the 22's?? I was also looking at some ITP Holeshot that are 20x11x8.......... Please help!!! Gonna try an sell my 18's before I buy my new ones though cuz I dont want 6 pairs of tires that never get used in my garage!! Lol

Thanks,
Sonia_69

if you can find 9 inch rims to use you can get a 20x11x9 mud lite and it wont rub anything but still give you what you want

I only have 8" rims so I gotta find the right tires to also fit those..........
And how bad will my execleration loss be??

Those 18's WILL suck. Guaranteed. Get some 20's with a nice heavily treaded pattern. The razr2's have a nice blocky pattern to them but too many untreaded bald spots where glass and sharp sticks and sh*t can puncture.

If you dont care about acceleration, get the mudlites as well as an extended swinger. A +1 will be enough for those tires not to rub. I have 20" Holeshots on mine and they rubbed the plastic heel guards almost completely off. When the quad was sitting they didnt rub, but whenever I jumped and the swinger shifted up and down they would rub.

I just want something that will work great for the trails and not ruin my plastics and such..... Accleration isnt really a huge deal to me but I dont wanna be putt puttin around cuz of my tires lol
How much would an extended swinger cost me?

I just want something that will work great for the trails and not ruin my plastics and such..... Accleration isnt really a huge deal to me but I dont wanna be putt puttin around cuz of my tires lol
How much would an extended swinger cost me?

Depends on how much your looking to spend. You get what you pay for. A high quality heavy duty extended swingarm will cost ya around $250-500. You can get your stock swinger extended by "Strokedtater244". He does a great job for a good price. Or if you want you can get a T-ROCK swingarm custom built by Ken O'Connor Racing for $350 or $400. Heres a link: http://www.kenoconnorracing.com/Yamaha Blaster Swing Arms.html

Yeaaaahhhh will prolly have to wait to do that, not enough cash :(
Though I do got some wheel spacers coming will that help or affect anything with the mudlites??

Yeaaaahhhh will prolly have to wait to do that, not enough cash :(
Though I do got some wheel spacers coming will that help or affect anything with the mudlites??

Yea Spacers will prevent the tires from rubbing. You can also get a stock banshee axle, you can get a cheap one on ebay for probably around $100 shipped. I believe they are +3 1/2" longer than a stock blaster axle. They are direct swaps for 03-06 Blasters but if you have an 88-02 I think you need an 03-06 brake hub. Look at this one: YAMAHA Banshee AXLE perfectly strait 1987-2006 SILVER | eBay

Last edited by a moderator:
I ride an '03 :) so I will or wont need different hubs? Cuz if thats the case I cant go that route cuz my spacers are for blaster hubs

I ride an '03 :) so I will or wont need different hubs? Cuz if thats the case I cant go that route cuz my spacers are for blaster hubs

Banshee and Blaster hubs have different bolt patterns but the same splines so they're interchangeable. Just take the hubs off your stock axle and swap them to the banshee axle.

I'm also interested in running 22's but I had the same fear, the possibility that they would rub. I have 8 inch ITP Baja rims with 18/10-8's on them right now, I know the offset of these rims is an inch or two wider on each side, does anyone know if that would be enough to prevent 22's from rubbing with a stock axle, no spacers? anyone have firsthand experience with bigger tires that work with a stock swinger?

I have 22-11-9 mud lites on Warrior rims, I had to flip them cause one side rubbed, tho might not after I fixed swing arm & axle. I don't know if Blaster wheels are centered as it had aftermarket rears when bought. I would have suggested 9in rims and matching hubs as there is way more tires availeable for 9in rims. Seeing you're getting spacers you'll be good. As for acceleration it shouldn't be to bad, depends on how you ride. You could either drop front one tooth or go up three in back. Only thing I don't like about the mud lites is that unless I have them spinning is that they don't like to slide sideways:D

Alright awesome!!! Mudlites it is then!!! If anyone is interested in my Maxxis Razr MXs pm me, need them sold before I can get my mudlites!! Got them on craigslist now

Thanks for all the help!!!