2005 blaster vertical rear play

giantvt104

Jan 6, 2012
deer park, ny
Hey everybody. Im a new member. I just picked up a 2005 blaster 99.9% stock. Previous owner had to have taken really good care of it cause it really is in great condition. the only thing i notice is when hold the grab handle and lift up and down i can feel play vertically between the top and somewhere in the swingarm area? the is no play side to side though. i tried to go over and tighten everything with no success. I think it might be the swinarm bushing or something with the shock but im not sure. My question is has anybody experienced anything like this. if so i would appreciate a direction to go in cause its starting to drive me crazy. lol. thanks.

i've experienced this before in the past, you're on the right track, but 2 people would help here, one to lift and one to watch each of the possible areas for movement....
upper and lower shock mounts,
swingarm pivot bearings,
and carrier/axle bearings

Reactions: giantvt104
There is some play in the rear shock mount, the two blasty's i have, both have that clunking. Not sure if there is a fix. But I'd check it all over just to be sure!

cool thanks guys. im gonna have my brother move it and ill watch. Lol i was tryin to do both by myself. wasnt working too well. so this should make it easier..

my money is on the lower shock mount. chances are the pin has worn either, itself, the shock or the frame hole.

I have had this on my 400ex shock, eventually i had a brass bush made...il put up a pic tomorrow

Reactions: giantvt104
i will def list what i find. Oh yeah. blaner. why exactly do they use just a slide pin in that lower shock mount? It doesnt make sense to me. Seems like that could become a definite weak point..

well the top mount it bolted so it cant move, now when you hit a bump and the shock compresses, the swingarm pivots on its front roller bearings and bushes and the axle moves up and down in an arc. So if the swingarm moves in an arc, something needs to give - move to adjust with the changing arc of the swinger, not all of the force is absorbed by the shock beacuse its not all in the same vector direction as the direction of shock compression so the lower mount needs to be free to do so.if it were bolted solid, the shock would absorb most of the force but the rest will be transferred into the metal of the swingarm and you will end up with stress fractures.

You can swap to a bolt but use a nylock nut so that you dont have to tighten it all the way and that you can leave it to wiggle a little

my money is on the lower shock mount. chances are the pin has worn either, itself, the shock or the frame hole.

I have had this on my 400ex shock, eventually i had a brass bush made...il put up a pic tomorrow

I had that happen too on a 400ex, I drilled all to the next size up pin

Sorry it took so long to get back to this. Ive just had no extra time to do anything. Anyway I figured out exactly where the vertical play is coming from. I had my brother lift the rear of the quad up and down and i felt a few different spots when it was moving. i alot of loseness in both the upper and lower rear shock bushings. Thats it. Instead of trying to get some new bushing on that terrible stock rear shock im gonna go with a 400ex rear with KOR's bushing kit, especially since it looks like it has dampening and rebound adjustments. my back will thank me. Thanks guys for all your advice.

Heres a pic of the one i got. Looks like its in good condition. Was stated that there is no signs on leaks or damage. So i guess ill see for sure when it comes.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqFHJDME8f-0us36BPNzjkjYlw~~60_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqFHJDME8f-0us36BPNzjkjYlw~~60_12.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 94
I had one that when i got it looked good. but it had been standing for a few years. worked well but soon started leaking its guts. No worries, got a seal kit and rebuilt it. perfect ever since:)