2001 Blaster frame

JustinD

Mar 14, 2015
I found a 2001 blaster frame that come with wiring harness and carb and I was wondering what is the easiest to find and easiest to install engine, Ive searched the forums and found out that the DT200R is basically the same as the YSF200 but problem is finding one. Is there another engine that I can use that is readily available

Also the guy has already cut the frame for a bigger engine and it came with tires, and shocks as well and only costed me $60

it all really depends on your fabrication and welding ability. there really isn't any engine that's an easy swap. there have been a few yz250 swaps on here that involve modifying your swingarm and making all new mounts

I have read the yz 250 is easier than most to get in there but the pipe is the biggest obstacle.

Why not a Blaster engine?
because the PO hacked up the frame alread

honestly dude, unless you are a good welder, or have someone. i wouldnt do it.
if a weld or bar breaks and an engine jumps, you could be putting your/someones life at risk

it has been done, but a lot more thought and work than just "finding an engine"

Well I live with a mechanic who used to race professionally and he would build his own engines and motorcycle frames and before I purchased the blaster I asked if he would help and he said he would and currently I am going to school for automotive tech so it would help me get better as well.

he also works at a shop that does auto and mufflers so I should be good when comes to getting it done right

I wanted to make sure I got the best engine for that frame

And thanks for all the replies

I only say a blaster motor because they are easy to work on, they can be found for a good price, parts are readily available, and your on Blaster forum :). Who knows what the frame was originally moded for. Just please make sure the frame is structurally sound before even attempting to put a motor in it. You can always get an un molested frame for cheap also. Then you know exactly what motor will fit it in perfectly ;).

I sent the guy a message asking him what motor was in it before, also I've seen the same exact cuts on here somewhere I just can't remember what it was, I know it was a engine swap, I will se if I can find it again

there are several moded frames in the motor swap section, mine included. some have cut out tubing but never replaced them which is the completely wrong way to do a swap in my opinion. if something is removed, it has to be replaced.

Hybrids are a labor of love. It will take at least 2X as long, cost 5X as much as you think it will, and still be worth 1/2 of what you have in it. Muffler shop will be of no use if you do a 2s, totally different design/function.

If you thought this would be a cheap way to get a quad, you're wrong. Basically you're doing a reverse part out.

Not being a Debbie Downer, just realistic. You most deffinately will learn boatloads doing a hybrid.
Biggest problem is the frame is small, which limits suitable engines. 300 KTM is the largest 2s you can stuff in easily.

Very basic rule of thumb, a 4 stroke needs to be 2X as large to have equal power. Warrior is great example. Has same stock HP as Blaster, 17. Very easy, relatively cheap, to double HP on Blaster. Impossible to double a Warrior even with a bucket of money.

Good news is that at $60, you didn't get hosed. If you have motorcycle swap meets in your area, they're fun to go to, and often can find good deals. Check CL for suitable donors also.

Good luck, let us know which way you go !!

Reactions: Herpderplol
Thanks for all the replies, this will be a long term project because like you said it will cost a good amount of money and I am currently looking a motor that needs to be rebuilt as that is cheaper than a working motor, I will take pics of the progress and create a thread when I get some work done

20150315_101808.jpg
Here is where the frame was cut

Yup, looks like a project someone got in over their head and dumped. I reconfigured my frame to mount a motor more easily. Also to allow not cutting the pipe. I basically built the frame around the motor and pipe. I didn't know what year pipe I had, my mistake that late bit me in the ass, I had to find the right one. The current fmf was the right one but for some reason didn't follow the original one I used for mock up. Probably bent. But here is my frame. I also made 2 piece front mounts for easier motor removal. It's all in the motor swap page. If I had to do it again, I would try to change the frame tube some if I could. But like I said, it depends on the type of pipe you use.
FB_IMG_1425268893464.jpg
20150305_133225.jpg